Please note that this list is not a medical diagnosis.
1. All of your conversations revolve around your latest projects or assignments. On the rare occasion you have time to binge watch a new show on Netflix, you’ll throw that into the convo to try to prove to people that work doesn’t equal life.
2. Your work friends are your closest friends. Really, who has the time to meet new people these days??
3. Every time your phone buzzes, you check to see if you received a new email. iPhones are 4G are awesome except for the fact that you feel must respond to that latest email immediately.
4. People tell you that you need to relax. RELAX?! Who has time to relax? Don’t they know you have deadlines approaching!
5. While people might think you are superhuman, your barista knows that you consume an abnormally high amount of caffeine in order to function every day.
6. You feel anxious when you’re not working. And when you’re not working, you’re thinking about work.
7. Your peers might classify you as a perfectionist, but you just think of yourself as having high-standards.
8. When your boss asks you for help, you say “yes” before he/she finishes the sentence.
9. When people tell you that you have a problem, you respond saying that you working is fun. Maybe work could be your hobby…
10. Your bosses or professors compliment you on your performance or assignments. You get rewarded with good grades, a bonus, or praise, which just makes you want to work more.
Does this list sound like you? If so, enjoy these words of advice from Billy Joel:
Where’s the fire, what’s the hurry about?
You better cool it off before you burn it out
You got so much to do and only
So many hours in a day (Ay)