Back to DRM

The fight against piracy is far from over, and it’s far from stagnate. Internet pirates are normal people; they could be you or me, or a neighbor. But they are far from harmless. Far from stupid. And it seems as though “they” are no longer underestimating them. Whoever is responsible for anti-piracy laws and technology are constantly updating their methods. A new anti-piracy tactic is outlined in this Sexy DRM article I will be using for my portfolio. Much to my joy, there’s a Digital Rights Management technique that does not involve encryption. For e-books, what “they” want to do is to digitally watermark books purchased. When you buy an e-book, your name and other purchasing information will be printed (typed) into the e-book pdf. Should the e-book be illegally copied and distributed, we can identify the original owner. However, this does not guarantee we will be able to identify the culprit; after all, someone might have hacked the poor girl’s kindle and copied her e-book. Despite this drawback, I find myself in favor of the digital watermark for its user-friendly quality.

One thought on “Back to DRM

1. ashnaulb Post author

Pirates have been getting better and better and are not to be underestimated. Many of them are computer experts and know exactly how everything works and how to effectively break the law in this manner. There is a large market for pirating too which makes it desirable.

Reply