What about wikis?

Just a thought. I was reading in Howard again, and read that one form of “piracy” in the early days of the printing press was to print abridged versions of a manuscript. Then, of course, selling them unbeknownst to the author of the original and keeping all the profits. I immediately saw this as a parallel to wikis (or wikias) today. At first, we can understand that this might be problematic for copyright because it contains all the information about a given text in one place. I would guess that it ends up in fair use most likely because the purpose of the use is not for profit; they are just meant to be encyclopedias. However, a bigger dilemma occurs when someone reads the wiki before reading the actual text. This happened to me. I was curious about Shaman King, because I had never watched it to its ending and thought that it was cancelled in America before its last episode. I went on to the wikia and read up on the plot and the characters. I felt no need to go back and read the manga because I had already absorbed the story. This is why abridged versions are problematic. They give the reader a short, concise expression of the story, so anyone not interested in particular language gets their fill and never buys the cumbersome original.

2 thoughts on “What about wikis?

1. Jason Elliot Melendez Post author

I’ve also seen that happen. I’ve made recommendations, only for that person to wiki it… and then proceed to tell me spoilers when I hadn’t finished the series yet. The thing about summaries is that they cut out extra info and get right to the main points, which, once all the big reveals are made, takes away the enjoyment and incentive to actually experience the series. So I guess it really still IS a form of piracy.
    (On the side, I recall the Shaman King anime having a different-ish ending than the manga, but the manga endings – both the original and Kanzenban – ended up being not worth all the time put into reading it anyway.)

Reply
  2. ashnaulb Post author

I am not sure if Wiki is a blog or not but if it is then since the authors don’t get paid maybe that’s why it’s ok. I also think it’s different times now where there is more than one form of entertainment so it doesn’t apply to this time period as much.

Reply