Born into Brothels Camera Shot

I was very intrigued by the camera shot in Born into Brothels. It was inserting that she had to shoot at such a low angle to make sure she would not get caught. It makes me wonder how the film would have had been if she could record normally and people would not run away or be frighten of the camera. Would she have been able to capture of moving scene? Would she be able to add crucial details that she wouldn’t have been able to before. I also wonder if the film would have still won an Oscar if it wasn’t  shot so secretively.

One thought on “Born into Brothels Camera Shot”

1. I believe that filming the lives of people are extremely interesting. With Born Into Brothels, the audience gets to see not everyday experiences, such as what it is like to be a member of the Red Light District. However, although I agree that this shot was interesting, I do not agree with the ethics of some of the film. I believe that if an individual (filmmaker or not) is secretly recording anyone doing something, then that person should know what is being caught on film. I also believe that if people are so frightened by the camera, then obviously something not socially acceptable is occurring. Instead, in that particular scene the director exposes every single individual in the Red Light District without their permission. This is problematic especially when so many people have seen this documentary, where they see the lives of individuals who are ashamed of what they do for a living. If the director did not film this in secret, I believe that this film would not have a chance of winning an Oscar.