Documentaries

After watching both documentaries, Soma Girls and Born into Brothels, one can see how a director has so much power in portraying  what he or she wants the viewer to see and take away from a film. A perfect example is how in Soma Girls I saw how girls who have come from a tough upbringing are very determined to achieve their goals  for a better future for themselves. Instead of feeling sorry for the girls, I have feelings of admiration toward them for being so courages and strong. Meanwhile, in the few minutes I watched Born into Brothels, I just felt bad for the children. Therefore, it is amazing to see how similar topics can be so differently presented.

One thought on “Documentaries”

1. I think that the presentation topic can affect the viewer’s perception of the topic in major ways. Showing the determination of all of the young girls and young women in Soma Girls definitely influenced my perception. Overall, this portrayal was one of hope and inspiration. It instilled a sense of positivity in the viewer, at least it did for me. On the other hand, Born into Brothels took a much darker approach to the whole situation. I felt that the film was sort of demoralizing. Of course the two films depict different specific circumstances, but they do deal with the same topics. It was just incredible to see how a difference in portrayal could influence my perception so drastically.