4 Replies to “Wireless Technology (Phoebe Silos)”

1. Firstly, I really liked how you started right out by defining wireless technology as a system within our communications system, and discussed other forms of “wireless” communications, like smoke signals and flags, which I would have never thought to include in the definition of wireless technology. I also really liked how you gave a solid history of wireless technology, from Maxwell’s equation through to current usage. I also had never thought of how the World Wars would have really spurred on the development of wireless technology because of the necessity to communicate with troops on the move. In addition, I liked how you specifically spoke on the transition of wireless technology being a military technology to one being used by the general public. On the whole, I thought that your entire slidecast was interesting and well thought out, as everything you said fed directly into the next point you made. On the technical side, you also had a good grasp of pacing, and did not speak too quickly or too slowly. This slidecast was very well done, good job.

2. This was really good, I liked it a lot. I liked that you defined exactly the technology you were going to talk about in the second slide, and I also liked the reference to smoke signals and flags as the origins to the modern technology. You did a good job explaining how wireless technology did not just pop out of thin air, but instead was built into current systems of the time, like the telegraph. You covered a lot of the material we talked about in class, which is obviously a good thing– we were supposed to show we learned something from the class, but at points it felt like you were just tracing through your notebook; I would have liked to hear more research that you did on your own. I’m aware that was nit-picky. Overall I think it was really good, you covered your bases and built it up in an easy to follow manner, good job.

3. Pheobe,

Like the last slide cast, fantastic job; I always like seeing what you come up with. It was great that you started with defining wireless communication, and then transitioned directly into its earliest forms in China. This has a great effect in solidifying a starting point for the technology from ancient times. The timeline you lay out and more importantly, the story you tell, does a fantastic job at plotting the technology’s development to the modern era. I also like how you clearly define the shift from wireless communication being a military technology to a consumer technology and how the term broadcasting came about. Something you might find interesting is that the first TV broadcast actually came from Schenectady, NY; the home of the Edison General Electric Company and later General Electric. The one thing I would have done differently is go into a little more detail about the development of wireless communication in the 21st century; the jump from the Motorola DYNATAC seems a bit big. Other than that, you do a great job at building technological momentum, plotting a trajectory for what it means to communicate wirelessly in the future.

4. Phoebe,

Great slidecast! Your reasoning and arguments were very easy to follow because they were clear and followed a historical timeline. You also seamlessly connected several of your technology’s themes to themes from class. One of the most interesting points from your slidecast was the long history of wireless technology/communications use. It did not even occur to me to think back to the Chinese using smoke signals! However, can it be a wireless technology if the concept of “wires” didn’t even exist yet? Obviously new technologies are built upon the infrastructure and development of older technologies, as you mentioned, but can we call something a wireless technology if there were no wires to go without? Just some food for thought… I also liked how you hit on so many contexts-the social, political, technological- I thought like I got a very robust idea of the development of wireless technology.

-Olivia Wootton