5 Replies to “Wearable Technology (Kate Daly)”

1. Kate,

I really enjoyed your slidecast! You did a great job of showing the history of wearable technologies as well as show what they are like currently. The music in the background made your slidecast run and transition very smoothly. I thought it was so interesting how you described clothes as the first wearable technologies because they were designed to keep the sun off and how they are very value-latent (a key theme throughout out our course). In addition, I enjoyed how you explained the evolution of the pocket watch to the wristwatch while incorporating the contexts behind it. I never realized how the watch expressed punctuality. Since it is something we take for granted (there are clocks/watches/phones all around us), I forgot about how before the invention of these things, there was no way to tell the specific time. In addition, I really liked the example at the end in which you described why wrist technologies like the Apple Watch and Fitbit are more popular than wearable technologies like Google Glass. Well done!

2. Your slidecast is very informative. I think a couple of pieces of information you could have added to tie in to other main points you have could have been jewelry as a wearable technology (which you kind of cover in clothes showing off socioeconomic status, as well as transition into the concept of wristwatches), and perhaps even something like wallet chains, or even purses/wallets/backpacks which are utilized to carry stuff like cards and other small objects, which you expressed having worries about later when discussing key cards. There are other technologies which we wear, and they may not do it in the same way and may have come for other different technologies, but that does not mean they should be exempt from the discussion (that being said, in 6:40 it’s kind of hard to discuss all of those things, so you did a good job with what you had). The only other thing I have to say is some slides seemed somewhat unrelated to your first statements in discussing the technology for that 20 seconds, which made a confusing relationship when trying to listen to what you’re saying vs what you have presented. Everything was relevant to an extent, but it would have helped to streamline your slides a little more visually. Overall I think this is a great job and would have been very interested to hear more about what you researched.

3. This was a really well done video. I like that you considered all clothing as wearable technology. It is such a ubiquitous item today, that we rarely think about it as a socio-technical system. I thought this was a great way to start the discussion of the history of wearable technology. You did a great job connecting various forms of wearable technology to the time and discussion how items such as wristwatches serve as a precursor to technology such as Apple watches. I had never considered the importance of wearable technology being unobtrusive, so I thought that was a really strong point as well. You highlighted the importance of the values of ease and efficiency, which was also great commentary. While I liked that the addition of music added an entertaining component to the video, it was sometimes distracting from the content. I think that your video would have been stronger if the music was slightly quieter so that it was easier to hear your voice. You finished the video strong with the suggestion of implanted technology in the future. Though I am not the biggest fan of this concept, I think it was a great way to show how wearable technology may move towards.

4. I liked how you focused on describing how wearable technology is not just the new fancy ‘modern’ technology; it is all clothing ever worn since it has inherent social and technological values. Another trait that I enjoyed hearing about how important unobtrusiveness is. The goggles for skiing/snowboarding that you mentioned provide a good example of an opportunity for wearable technology to be upgraded without increasing obstructiveness since you have to wear the goggles already. This provided a stark contrast to google glasses where you have to wear an additional layer of clothing/accessories which are uncomfortable to wear and are not as sociably acceptable compared to googles on the slopes.
    Your projection into the future is a little scary for me. I’m not sure if I would like to have wearable technology embedded into by body but based on the stories that you have told I can see it becoming common in the masses. It appears that embedded technology may follow a similar path that cell phones took. First there are a few crude prototypes but as time goes on, society begins to accept them and eventually expects everyone to have a cell phone. This could get scary!

5. Kate:

Great job with this slidecast. Good idea to start with a brief description of wearable technology before jumping into its history. I also like that you reference clothes as the first wearable technology, I had not thought about it that way but you are certainly right that it appropriately fits the definition. I also like how you discuss both successful wearable technologies, such as watches, as well as those that fail, such as Google glass. It was worthwhile to include your discussion of why wrist wear is more successful than eyewear. Personal connections also helped to make the slidecast more relatable. I think the presentation would have benefited from the inclusion of a few more historical future predictions. The Dick Tracy comic strip was an excellent reference, so I think if you had included a few more of those, the slidecast would have benefitted. I also would have liked to hear a little more about the future of this technology and implants but with a time limit of 6:40 there is only so much you can do. Overall, excellent slidecast, this presentation was informative and changed the way I think about wearable technology.