4 Replies to “Solar Energy (Hannah Goldstein)”

1. Nice job Hannah! I thought you did a really great job setting up the context and history regarding solar energy. I liked how you explained the different motivations for solar energy and how the movement progressed as concerns for climate change as increased. I found it interesting that solar technology was developed long before it became implemented due to economic concerns. One thing I thought you could have focused more on the technologies that came before solar panels. What technologies had to be developed before solar panels could be created and how did they influence the innovation of solar panels? Also, I liked how you had a conclusion slide that reviewed the key concepts of your slidecast, it really helped reinforce your message. My only concern was that this slide lasted longer than 20 seconds. Other than that though, I thought your slidecast was very well done and I enjoyed watching it!

2. I really had no idea that Solar Energy was from so long ago! That’s really interesting. One question I had was about the Solar Energy company. What failures didn’t let them succeed? In any case I think that Solar Energy is a good example of how context matter. It’s like the electric car; people were thinking about it before, but decided to use technology in a different way. I like the Venn Diagram you used and the general storyline that you shared with us. You also explained the economic context of solar power well. It makes sense to say that the reason people use it more is because it became more efficient, highlighting a social value. But… is it more efficient because people started using it more? Another question I had is what are the main problems with solar energy? Once again, I enjoyed how you concluded the slidecast.

3. I really liked that you started your video by challenging conventional beliefs about the origin of solar technology. I think that identifying the root of this view and its faults was a strong way to start your discussion. It is interesting that the drop in coal prices allowed for this form of energy to advance more than solar technology, event though solar energy has been around for over a century. You did a great job placing the excitement behind coal technology in its social, political, and economic context. You also did a great job connecting the technology to class values such as technological determinism, discussing that people saw solar energy as an agent for change. It was really interesting to hear about how the positive view of solar energy was established with influence from political and economic factors. Overall I really enjoyed your slidecast and don’t have very many suggestions. My only comment is that it would have been interesting to hear more about the development of solar technology and how the technology specifically has changed over time.

4. Awesome work Hannah! I thought you did a great job at immediately setting the scene of what solar energy is, why its important, and what can we gain from it. I also thought you chose great pictures for each of your voice recordings, because they set the scene really nicely. The opening picture especially does a nice job, because it lets the listener know right away what is going on, and what to expect. One issue that I had, and it may be my fault, was that the audio and picture were out of sync at some points. I could hear you talking at certain points during a transition. Just something to watch out for in case another one of these pops up in your future. But besides that, I thought you did a great job! I learned so much more about solar energy than I would have thought!

Mike