5 Replies to “Net Neutrality (Mike Ippolito)”

1. Michael,

Brilliant slidecast on a topic that I only knew a little bit about! You did a fantastic job with explaining this tricky topic that has a lot of moving parts. I particularly enjoyed your restaurant analogy at the end. I thought you did a great job explaining what Net Neutrality is and the first slide allowed me to have a better sense of what it is visually. I also thought you did a great job explaining the history aspect of Net Neutrality as I was not aware that Net Neutrality applied to the breaking up of AT&T, Paramount Pictures taking advantage of movie theaters, and radios issuing licenses. You also did well splitting up the historical aspects of Net Neutrality with current day components. As far as critiques go, I really do not have any for you, I thought this slidecast was put together well and will thoroughly inform any listener on all of the different components on how Net Neutrality came to be and what it is known as today. Excellent job, Michael!

2. You did an incredible job in outlining the history, all relevant technologies, and relevant laws (and consequently, the relevant reasonings they exist). The restaurant analogy I think was also a great touch to add in, as quality is an important aspect to consider regarding net neutrality. I don’t think you depicted this as necessarily a bad thing which is really smart because it is truly hard to tell whether we should settle for universal access when we can have more particular services which are really high quality. I think the fact that you give so much attention to the major companies which exist today really gives weight to the overall argument, and that eliminating net neutrality would really give them all of the power and influence over the market. At the same time, I did not consider that this would enable those companies to conduct more R+D, which is something vital to consider when addressing whether or not we should maintain or eliminate net neutrality. Should we settle for what we have, or do we want to narrow our options if it means it is better than what we have now? I think the fact that you have me asking these questions shows that you were successful in covering this salient topic.

3. I really like choosing net neutrality. The topic in itself has just recently come to my attention- I didn’t know what the big deal was. Your tone of voice made the video interesting! The story you told about AT&T invoked excitement and anger. It seems ridiculous that there was a monopoly on telephones today, but I guess the same thing is happening in thing like social media/virtual reality. I was curious why you explained the telegraph, telephone, and then the radio? Why did you choose that order? Also around minute 4, you repeated the same slide speech twice! I really like the analog you use with the restaurant. It was interesting and well spoken. In general, I would’ve love to hear your opinion as to what you believe the future would be. Also, Trump has had a few policies about this, I was surprised you didn’t mention it.
    Overall, well done. Good job!

4. Mike,

You did an awesome job on this presentation. I did not know anything about net neutrality until I watched your slidecast. It is interesting to see how companies such as AT&T, Paramount, ABC, all very common to life today, took part in this concept in history, and now into present day. It is interesting to think that these large companies have had such impacts on the way we interact with technologies such as film, telecommunications, and the internet. Furthermore, I like how you explained the issues and then went further on to ask the question…”why does this matter?” This goes above and beyond the definition of net neutrality and shows us as viewers why we should even care. Your use of counterarguments also shows that you did a great deal of research on this topic and completed thoughtful analysis. The only suggestion I have is that it would have been helpful if you tried explaining some of the images you put into your presentation. Overall, I really enjoyed!

5. I enjoyed understanding how net neutrality existed before the internet. I never though about telephones or telegrams in terms of net neutrality. What was useful to learn was about how the government stepped in to help encourage net neutrality, in particular the introduction of the FCC. I liked hearing about pros and cons of net neutrality. I never thought of companies struggling due to net neutrality. You mentioned that since companies cannot increase their income in a capitalistic way they are struggling to invest in research and development and maintaining their infrastructure. I never though of companies being hurt due to net neutrality. I was only ever focused on the end user.
    Another argument about net neutrality that I have not heard often is the issue about how you use the internet. Should the end user be able to package it up and sell it on to additional customers? This might seem crazy now but in the late 80s and early 90s this is how a lot of the internet was provided to people, from hobbyists selling it on. I’d be curious if there are any parallels from previous technologies.