2 Replies to “The Mars Rover (Caroline Harmon)”

1. Caroline,

Great work on such an interesting topic! I believe that the pictures that you chose flowed very well with the information that you presented on each slide. I also thought that you did a great job covering a wide variety of technology topics both related and unrelated to what we learned in class such as learning about the transistor and semi-conductor as well as details about the Mars Rover as a whole. A few new things I learned included: learning about the details about the different types of rovers and how they have evolved over time, how private companies will play a role in sending humans to Mars in the future, and that the Mars rover is powered by solar panels. One critique that I have is that there is a bit of background noise present throughout the video. Otherwise, great job! I enjoyed learning about various aspects of the Mars rover and the different types of technology that laid the foundation to this groundbreaking technology!

2. Hi Caroline,

Great job!! I thought you did a fantastic job at putting the rover into historical context. I never really stopped to think about all of the previous technologies that made the rover possible, but you did a tremendous job at putting those into context. In terms of the pictures that you used for this slidecast, I thought those worked great at well. I especially liked the cartoon of the US vs the USSR in the space race leading up to the 1960s. One thing you might want to consider is to talk about all of the science fiction that was inspired by the ability for us to go into space (I say this being a big star wars fan). But otherwise I thought you did a great job!

-Mike

3. Hey Caroline,
    I really liked the way you structured your presentation by first explaining the social values that drove the development of the mars rover, and then explaining the individual sociotechnical systems which made this expedition possible. From your presentation I get the impression that the mars expedition was largely fueled by the social value of curiosity (no pun intended), a rare driving force of technological development in modern society. I really liked the picture that illustrated rocket dynamics and flight path, it did a great job of communicating the necessity for advanced physics in space exploration. Your presentation connected the social values that made such a complex mission possible in a very understandable manner. I also liked how you connected social conflicts such as the cold war to the shift in patronage from government to private industry. A perfect example of the sociotechnical system that drives technological development. I also find it interesting that the goals of space exploration switch from political dominance to curiosity alongside the patronage transition. I learned a lot, nice job!