4 Replies to “Self-Driving Cars (Casey Gibbons)”

1. Gibbons,

Terrific work on this soon to be modern technology. I thought you did a great job building up to the main topic and explaining concepts such as technological concepts as well as historic concepts. I enjoyed how you added the DARPA Grand Challenge story and the rivalry between the Stanford and Carnegie Mellon teams within your slidecast after learning about it in our capstone. Great throwback! I also thought it was a smart move to mention how implementing smart cars into technology is not only difficult to perfect the technology but have the people accept this new technology. I was not aware that Chevrolet was the first company to experiment with a self-driving car and successfully navigated a car by itself. IT seems mind-blowing that a technology that is slowly being picked up today has already been invented for more than half of a century. As far as critiques go, I do not believe there is much to say, your slidecast is detailed and gives a great backstory on self-driving cars. I would say that you could have added more on what this technology is like today but besides that excellent job!

2. It funny how the video about the Electric cars also talked about who gets to choose between the use of gasoline or other methods like electric or steam. Wow! 1950s first smart car. That’s surprising I thought it was a very new technology from the late 1990s. It seems that most of the projects you’ve talked about depended a lot on societal interest and none of them really picked up. Does that mean that all these cars were intended to be completely commercial? I like the story you told us about the general historic outline of the self-driving car and the questions you raised about the morality of it. Who decides where this car goes? The transitions between slides seem to be a bit quick sometimes, so you might want to watch out in pacing the slides. Other than that, I think this video was well designed, interesting and very informative. Good work!

3. I thought the topic of self-driving cars was very interesting. I liked how you included the history of the car itself and how self-driving cars have always been talked about, even during the invention of the car. However, I am left wondering if there was something in the historical context that spurred the idea of having a self-driving car. If this was mentioned, then I don’t think it was very clear. Also, I thought the slidecast focused a lot on the technology and the technologies that make up a self-driving car with only a couple slides talking about the social context and the ethics behind the self-driving car. I thought the pacing of the slidecast was pretty fast, so it was hard to catch every detail. However, overall I thought it was a good slidecast packed with a lot of information. Additionally, I liked how you connected the self-driving car to the discussions we had in our capstone class.

4. Nice job! I enjoyed listening to your slidecast and learned a lot about the history of self-driving cars. I liked how you began when the concept of the self-driving car first began and then followed its progression through history. I didn’t realize that this concept has been around basically since cars were first invented. Your analysis on how technological momentum has shaped the development of the self-driving car along with cars in general was very good and I thought it added to the context of your slidecast. I would have liked to learn a little bit more though about why people have been so preoccupied with the idea of creating a self-driving car. Also, it would have been interesting to include some the other technologies that were predecessors to the self-driving car. I think this would have added to the context in which the self-driving car has been created. Overall though you had a very good slidecast that was informative and easy to follow!