5 Replies to “Future Electrification (Bailey McKenna)”

1. Bailey,

I enjoyed your slidecast and found your topic to be very unique. I thought your point on electric devices being mere extensions of arms was clever and see the connection between learning about time saving technology in class. I also believe that your most important point was that the people of the past did not know the true potential of electricity and its properties. I thought all of the images that you used were well picked and your explanations expanded my perspective on how technology was used in this particular field. Your final point of the loss of jobs due to automation and the barber on the cover of the magazine not using hair clippers because they did not exist at the time was an excellent comment of how easy it is to adopt a presentist mind set. I learned a lot about the specifics of hygienic inventions in the early 20th century such as when hair clippers were created, future projections of what hair care would be like, and that there was a World Fair as early as 1900. My only suggestion would be to add a bit more background on how the electric clippers were invented or how electronic hygienic inventions were integrated into society.

2. You did a great job of taking images of mundane tasks such as haircuts and making them sound interesting and dramatic. Also, I am impressed with your annunciation of French words. You did a good job putting the images into their historical context by discussing the 1900 World Fair in the beginning of your slidecast. This discussion was helpful in understanding that electricity was an amazing phenomenon at the time. You avoided presentism by explaining that although the technology portrayed in these images seems ridiculous to us, people during that time had good reasons for why they believed the future would look like those images. Your slidecast helps put a present day viewer in a person from the early 1900’s shoes. One suggestion I have would be to discuss in greater detail the values inherent in those inventions. My only other critique would be that you stop short of explaining exactly how the electric clippers came to be used today. Overall, I think you did a good job with this slidecast. I learned a lot!

3. Hey Bailey, nice job on your presentation of historical future predictions of electrification. I really liked the drawings of the hygiene robots in the year 2000. You did a great job of connecting their deviations from modern technology to the present state of machinery during that time period. From our present perspective, it’s quite interesting that such a redundant design was viewed as the future. I also liked how you addressed past societal perceptions of electricity, particularly ignorance toward the topic, and how that influenced the adaptation of useless inventions and the social rejection of inventions that would play a major role in future societies. One suggestion I would offer is to provide more examples. I liked that you utilized the same slide multiple times to offer a broader range of information about a single topic, but I think there exists a happy medium between 20 individual slides and the same slide three times in a row. A possible way to get more examples would be to increase the span of time you were analyzing. Overall you did a great job of explaining the content of your selections and connecting them to their time period.

4. I enjoyed hearing about the 1900 world fair. This allowed a good opportunity to dive into different countries viewpoints on the direction of the world. I liked how you provided reasoning why the present viewpoint on electricity turned out to be incorrect but they made sense base on the current understanding of machines, humans had to operate them carefully. Another good feature was hearing your own personal opinion on what you think consider to be the point of automation. I think that one thing that you might want to do next time is attempt to link closer to class topics, perhaps even directly reference a reading. But all in all I enjoyed seeing this slide cast. Nice job.

5. Hi Bailey,

Fantastic job! I thought one of the things that you did extremely well was starting off with a strong and enthusiastic opener. I feel like a lot of these slidecasts can start off with the same opening of “hi this is … and im here to talk about …” (I am guilty of this as well). But you do a tremendous job of sucking your audience in with a good hook. Another thing that I really enjoyed was the topic. When I first got this assignment, I tried to think of household items that people thought would play a bigger role in the future. But grooming technology isn’t one that I even considered, and is such a creative and unique idea. If there is one thing that I would suggest, it would be to use more examples. I totally understand that this is probably difficult because its such a unique topic, but I think it would strengthen the story you tell here.