5 Replies to “Transportation of the Future (Casey Gibbons)”

1. This feels like a general, encompassing, and informational summary. There are many connections to the themes in our class which are effectively explained, but at the same time it didn’t really tell me an extensive future vision of one central image. I can only assume Benjamen Bowden’s Spacelander is the image that prompted discussion on the rest of the slides, but it is only briefly described in the beginning before circling back the the end. The body of the slidecast jumps around between cars, bikes, cars, trains, bikes, and it just gets kind of confusing what kind of timeline we are looking at for the reasoning behind this central image. I think if this were organized so that there was a more smooth continuity throughout time and different transportation systems, this would have been a little easier to follow. So while the topics of the class are discussed effectively in this, the theme of transportation just seems really broad to me, and I would have liked to hear more about this bicycle of the future in the context it was in.

2. On the whole, I think this slidecast was quite good. You really explored a lot of different avenues of your larger theme, and talked about visions of transportation from many different lights. There were, however, a couple of minor issues I saw with it. Perhaps we had different understandings of what the assignment was, but I wish that you had spoken more about the image that you had used on the first slide, and given more in depth information on that time period in particular. In addition, while I did like the discussion of optimistic vs pessimistic views of the future, I wish that the slidecast as a whole was organized more chronologically, as I feel that it jumped around a bit. I did like how dynamic it was, but because of how many topics you discussed it did feel somewhat disorganized and left the message as a whole a little bit muddled.

3. Casey,
    Overall I think the way you voiced the transitions between slides was impressive. You made sure to relate previous slides to the current one. That being said, when you changed between slides, the video showed a weird combination of slides and didn’t move into the next one properly. The context you have of the ideas of the future are also pretty good and you used good examples that most people can relate to as well.
    Obviously, you have a very good grasp of class concepts. While this is important, you seemed to talk to us more about these concepts than the history of transportation in itself. In my mind, it might be beneficial for the next video to combine a bit of both.
    The example of the bike is analyzed well- you took a concept of transportation and expanded it by adding context. Overall, I think the video did well to explain concepts when understand the history of the future of any technology. Good job!

4. Casey,
    I thought that this slide cast was put together well. I enjoyed how you explored previous decades views of transportation of the future. The paining by Clause Bergel (I think I spelt that correct) was a good opportunity to start to explain the reverse of deterministic viewpoints when you talk about the fallacy of social continuity. I liked how you brought these ideas together with your analysis of the bike. In retrospect it appears clear that we should be more cautious to new social changes. Most of the vehicles that you showed in this presentation had been developed assuming that the world would stay exactly the same with the exception of the technology.
    The contrast with the train at the end where you explain how someone was able to ignore current fads and understand what is happening with technology in the moment was a very effective way at providing a contrast to demonstrate how erroneous the previous inventions were.
    Good job

5. In general this slide cast was very informative. Covering a range of topics allowed for an overarching view of how transportation concepts changed based on societal views. You also brought in many concepts in the class, bringing in the fallacies to the slide cast helped to strengthen your argument. The presentation was put together nicely and allowed for smooth transitions. Although it seemed as though the slides were not placed chronologically. The main thing I question is what time period you choose to envision. If given the time I would have focused more on one of the technologies in order to give a more in depth view on transportation. This was done with the bicycle and space travel but it felt a little rushed and neither of the technologies were shown in the first or last slide.