4 Replies to “Vacation of the Future (Caroline Harmon)”

1. I enjoyed the organization of your slidecast. I liked how you first gave a brief history of the roaring 20s because it really helps the listener place the next images in a historical context. You gave a very elaborate description of the history of the automobile, Henry Ford, and company rules on vacation for employees, and I think this was very useful and needed; however, I think it could have been a little more concise, so that more time could have been devoted to futuristic images of vacations. You did a great job placing the images in a historical context and showing how the images reflected the past context more than they predicted the future. Also, you did a great job analyzing future images and showing how the images represent the values of the people of the 20s: having more leisure time. The connection to major themes in class, namely the Kranzberg Laws, was well done. I liked how you explained the image as a reflection of the idea that technology is more than just a thing, it is a socio-technical system. My only criticism is that I wish you had more images that show the vacation of the future.

2. I really enjoyed the video overall and thought you did a great job. I really liked the explanation of the context of the time in the beginning of your video. I think it was a good choice to not just immediately jump into a discussion of your topic but to explain society at the time. I also thought you chose appropriate images for your slidecast, as they were all on topic and aesthetically interesting. The audio was clear and you spoke at an appropriate pace that made it easy for listeners to understand you. I also thought that your inclusion of class topics was solid, referencing Kranzberg’s laws is never a mistake, although I would suggest doing even more in future slidecasts. Perhaps referencing the fallacies of future predictions in class would make for a stronger video. Overall I thought this was a great slidecast that I really enjoyed listening to.

3. It was very interesting to watch your slidecast because I used the same Paleofuture article for mine! I noticed that we had some of the same information, such as the influence of roaring 1920s and the fast rate of production. However, you also included some great information that I hadn’t even considered. I like that you talked about President Harding’s effort to improve road conditions. I think it was a really great point to highlight because it shows the technological momentum that led to even wider use of cars today. I also really like that you discussed the work environment of the time and how companies tried to suggest that families vacation in certain ways. This was also a great contextual factor to add to the image of the car boat. Overall you did a really great job, my only suggestion would be to maybe add a summary at the end to wrap it up and give it a finished feel.

4. Explaining what you were going to be talking about in your presentation was very nicely done, it seems obvious but many times people forget to do this. I also liked how you spent a slide to talk about the historical context in the roaring twenties and how the factories allowed the working class more money, and by association more vacation. You eased into the topic nicely by mentioning better roads and the use of the car. By focusing on the car it showed why many people used it as a mode of transportation for vacation. The mention of camping with cars and paid vacations along with the recurring theme of the car boat was an interesting way of talking about your topic. While you used one of Kranzbergs law in the video it felt a little forced. Overall your slide cast was a joy to listen to.