Welcome to #DSMEET19!
ABOUT THE EVENT:
We here at Lafayette College and the Lafayette College Libraries are very happy to have you here on our campus on June 28th for the 2019 Digital Scholarship Student Symposium!
Digital scholarship programs and projects from students from Bryn Mawr, Bucknell, Gettysburg, Haverford, Lafayette, Muhlenberg, and Swarthmore will be featured in a couple of informal poster sessions that are designed to be “meet and greet” opportunities rather than formal presentations.
Looking forward to seeing everyone in our DH/DS community this Friday!
9:00 – 10:00 am Breakfast & Registration (Gendebein Room, Skillman 206)
10:00 – 10:30 am Welcome & Introductions (Gendebein Room, Skillman 206)
10:30 am – 12:00 pm Digital Poster Session #1 (Skillman 003)
12:00 – 1:00 pm Lunch (Gendebein Room, Skillman 206)
1:00 – 2:30 pm Digital Poster Session #2 (Skillman 004)
2:30 – 2:45 pm Break
2:45 – 3:15 pm Wrap Up/Closing Remarks (Gendebein Room, Skillman 206)
DIGITAL POSTER SESSION #1
Skillman 003, 10:30 am
Bach Dictation Generator
Katie Knox [Swarthmore]
Civic Engagement Map
Helen Huh [Swarthmore]
Conflict of Zoonotic Diseases
Cassandra Brown [Bucknell]
Digital Scholarship Summer Interns
Noor Fatima, Freddie Gould, Eloise Kadlecek, Tomas Paris [Haverford]
Examining the Perpetuation of Violence in the South Sudan Civil War
Victoria Puglia [Lafayette]
Haverford Under Erasure
Aarushi Mohan [Haverford]
Human Trafficking in the U.S.
Morgan McMullen [Bucknell]
Journeyways to the West
Nitisha Bhandari, Dorothy Feng, Hanjun Huang, Tina Zhong [Bryn Mawr]
Mac Address Spitter V1
Steven Fernandez [Swarthmore]
The Mosaic of Romani World
Milena Berestko [Lafayette]
Ian Ogolla [Haverford]
66 Images of Tokyo: Postcards from the Magazine Shufu no Tomo (主婦の友)
Ren Makino [Lafayette]
DIGITAL POSTER SESSION #2
Skillman 004, 1:00 pm
The Burma-Bucknell Connection
Aung Pyae Phyo [Bucknell]
A Comparative Analysis of Sustainability in Major U.S. Cities
Meredith Newman [Bucknell]
Data Visualization of the Cope Evans Family Papers
Aleena Maryam [Haverford]
Digital Scholarship Summer Fellows
Erik Carneal, Michaela Crow, Hoang Ahn Just, Maci Mark, Emma Poff, Emmarie Toppan [Gettysburg]
1847 Census on the Web: Special Collections Data Visualization from Friends Historical Library
Alice Huang [Swarthmore]
The Evolution of Chinese Food in the U.S.
Yanyu Li [Bucknell]
Hindu-Buddhist Architecture in Angkor City: Analysis of Neak Pean Temple
Aidy Ung [Lafayette]
Introducing the GAM Digital Archive
Natalia Mora, Mariana Ramirez [Haverford]
Labor Rights Consideration in eSports: A Policy Analysis of North American League of Legends & Riot Games
Joseph Illuzzi [Lafayette]
Mapping Ariosto’s Orlando Furioso
Jacob Botelho, Laura Santo [Muhlenberg]
Observation of the Result of Household Electrification on Student School Performance in Madagascar
Tafita Rakotozandry [Lafayette]
Reorganizing the Materials for the Quaker and Mental Health Project
Yuying Rong [Haverford]
Transgender: Exploring the History of a Word
Bec Stargel [Lafayette]
Angela Perkins, Research & Instruction Librarian
David Bishop Skillman Library
Tel: (610) 330-3191
730 High Street
Easton, PA 18042
GETTING TO CAMPUS
The Lafayette Inn is within easy walking distance of Lafayette College. Otherwise, attendees may walk or car pool as needed.
Though most will be driving into the Lafayette College area, here are other transportation options, for your reference:
Flights arrive at Lehigh Valley Airport in Allentown which is about 25-30 minutes from Easton. Information about car rentals can be found on the LVIA web site . Other airport options are Philadelphia International Airport (PHL; 1.5 hours from Easton) and Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR, 1 hour from Easton).
The Easton Intermodal Center is located at 123 South Third Street in downtown Easton, and is a brisk 20-30 minute walk from the Lafayette Inn. Trans-Bridge Lines offers over a dozen round-trips daily to Newark Airport and New York City.
The nearest Amtrak stations are in Newark and New York; the latter is connected to Easton by bus. New Jersey Transit’s Raritan Valley Line operates as far west as Raritan, New Jersey, about 30 miles southeast of Easton.
There are two primary companies that service the area and provide transportation to both Lehigh Valley International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport, Yellow Cab of Easton, (610) 258-9141, and Akab Taxi & Transportation Service, Phillipsburg, N.J., (908) 454-3420.
DRIVING AND PARKING
Driving directions to Lafayette College can be found on Lafayette’s web site:
Visitor parking at Lafayette is on the parking deck behind Markle Hall. You don’t need to register with Public Safety; you can just park on the deck.
The Lafayette Inn has graciously offered our group a corporate rate of $119 for traditional and deluxe rooms and $159 for suites, full breakfast included. They are located at 525 West Monroe Street, Easton, PA 18042. To book a reservation, please call them at (610) 253-4500.
There are a number of hotels available for a stay near the Lafayette College campus. Please view some options here:
Easton is known as a foodie town, with lots of great places to eat downtown. College Hill, the neighborhood that includes Lafayette College and the Lafayette Inn, also has several restaurants within easy walking distance.
- The Bayou (Southern fare); 64 Centre Square, Easton, PA; 610.829.1700
- Maxims 22 (French Bistro); 322 Northampton St., Easton, PA, 610.252.2622; closed Mondays
- Ocean (Modern American fusion); 235 Ferry St., Easton, PA; 610.559.7211; closed Sundays and Mondays
- River Grille (Modern American fusion); 243 Northampton St., Easton, PA; 610.923.5110; closed Sundays
- Pearly Baker’s Ale House (Modern American; farm-to-table); 11 Centre Square, Easton, PA; 610.253.9949; closed Mondays
- Porters’ Pub (American pub fare); 700 Northampton St., Easton, PA; 610.250.6561
- Sette Luna (Italian trattoria); 219 Ferry St., Easton, PA; 610.253.8888
- Sogo (Asian fusion; sushi) 237 Northampton St., Easton, PA; 610.250.0198
- Stoke Coal Fire Pizza (Italian); 1 Lehns Ct., Easton, PA; 610.829.1400
- Tandoor Grill (Indian); 9 N. 3rd ST., Easton, PA; 610.250.1922; closed Mondays
- Tokyo Sushi (Sushi); 22 N. 3rd St., Easton, PA; 610.559.8888
- Two Rivers Brewing (American pub fare); 542 Northampton St., Easton, PA; 610.829.1131
- Cask Taphouse (American pub fare); 80 Kunkle Dr., Easton, PA; 610.438.5655
- College Hill Tavern (American pub fare); 420 Cattell St., Easton, PA; 610.829.5470
- Don Juan (Tex Max); 518 March St., Easton, PA; 610.438.5661
- Olive Garden (Italian); 50 Kunkle Dr., Easton, PA; 610.515.1722
- Pizza D’Oro (Italian and pizza); 208 Cattell St., Easton, PA; 610.253.5533; closed Tuesdays
- Tacos Y Tequila (Mexican); 20 Kunkle Dr., Easton, PA; 610.438.4554
- Tic Toc Family Restaurant (American Diner); 2510 Northampton St., Easton, PA; 610.252.6466
You can learn about additional dining options via the College’s website:
If you are a student who will be attending the symposium and presenting your project in a poster session, please register by clicking on the following link:
If you are a staff representative of an attending program, please click the link below and fill out the following form. Only one staff member need complete the form to register: