The Job of an Editor

For one of my fourth hour requirements, I went to a faculty irregular lunch discussion this Friday. Though it did not address our course directly, it offered some interesting tidbits on the collaborative process of scholarly publication which I can expand into the realm of authorship.

I got the impression from the presentation that scholars in the Humanities are hesitant to take on collaborative writing. It was even mentioned that many scholars focus on their own work, a book, rather than seek publication in a journal. In retrospect, I regret not asking further on the subject. Why would a scholar choose to work on a book rather than publish an article? Perhaps, simply, the book is a hallmark of the academic and requires an immense amount of effort. However, I wonder if the idea of authorship comes into play at all in this trend. Does a book give an author more reputation than a published article? For my purposes as an undergraduate, both books and journals are considered equally scholarly and credible. I wonder if at the higher levels if their are any subtle differences in reputation between books and journals. Perhaps people only take you seriously if you have a book in your own name.

One thought on “The Job of an Editor

1. Jason Elliot Melendez Post author

From one perspective, to have your own work published in an article or as its own book is impressive. But in terms of prestige, it does look more influential to have an entire book that is your work, rather than a single part within a whole. If I had to guess, I would say that some of the time, the difference may just lie in how much has to be said. Other times, I would have to guess it has to do with the importance of a work. If a work has more of an impact, it would also naturally require more to be said about it.

Reply