Citizenfour: Snowden’s Portrayal

For someone who is publicly labeled as a traitor, a spy, communist (not my personal opinion of course)..etc…I could not help but resonate and connect with the guy. Never having heard him speak prior to this movie, I was quite surprised at how human and personable he was. I thought the humanization of Edward Snowden created doubt and even sympathy in the eyes of the audience. I felt bad for him, and even experienced empathetic responses to certain sections of the film. This is in tune with our discussion of separating the person from the situation, and how I am able to fully understand the gravity of the situation and his actions, yet simultaneously feel sympathy for him as a person.

One thought on “Citizenfour: Snowden’s Portrayal”

1. I agree with you. The news about Snowden tore him apart and made him look like an enemy. This made me judge him before I really learned about him and why he did what he did. This film brought the whole story of his life and his action of telling the truth of the NSA. It captured who he really was as a person and was humanistic. I think the people out there who have hate toward him should see this film and fully understand the two sides of the story instead of just trusting what the media says about him. I am curious to see what happens in the future with him.