God Loves Uganda

I decided to watch God Loves Uganda after Rodger William’s talk on Thursday. I was extremely intrigued by the conversation and the trailer. The documentary did a great job in showing both sides of the argument. The extremists in the film did everything possible to spread ideologies to the people of Uganda making it almost hard to watch. A lot of the things said seemed ridiculous and it surprised me how Williams was able to stay silent and film and even get really close to these people. There were times where I was extremely angry and I remember Williams saying he learned to love everyone even those against his belief. He got that close to them and that something extremely admirable as I’m sure it wasn’t easy. I really enjoyed this film. I was thrown into emotion after emotion getting specifically mad at how much Americans impacted the lives of these people. Williams was able to catch in perfect timing the build up to the anti-homosexual bill that passed in Uganda.

It was also nice to see a documentary that doesn’t show how this flm was personal to the director. It was evident without him being in the film specifically how important this was to him without his personal story in the mix. You can tell in just the shots how much he had to endure in order to catch the moment and put it in his film. He mentioned it in his talk but the scene where they were burying David Kato became a fight between both sides in one shot. He mentioned how rocks were thrown and how the activist had to be rushed away. He put himself in danger as most film makers do to capture the moment and spread it to the world. After watching God Loves Uganda I understood and was grateful that it got the attention it deserved.

One thought on “God Loves Uganda”

1. I agree with you. When Roger Williams talked about becoming friends with the people that held extremely opposite beliefs, I was shocked and in admiration of him. Some of these people had committed terrible hate acts. Hearing that he befriended them, to me, signified what a strong and admirable person he is for being able to think around that. I’m not sure I could do something like that if I were in his position.