Thoughts on Miss Representation

While watching Miss Representation, both the statistics and the stories of some women in which Newsom decided to include in her documentary definitely shocked me.  Not to mention, it seemed that every field of media, whether it be politics, music, film, etc. seemed to have its own way of somehow being slightly sexist or extremely sexist (depending on the situation.) I also thought how it was very interesting how Newsom was able to interview so many powerful and respected women in the world today, such as Condoleezza Rice, which I found to be very interesting.

However, there were some things about the film which I believed could have made it even more effective.  I believe the documentary could’ve been more effective if she showed more clips of music videos or from films.  In the documentary she did show a lot of clips from politics, however whenever there were clips from movies or music videos they would last for maybe half a second and then cut to another music video or film clip, not allowing the audience to fully see how certain movies could misrepresent women.  I also believed that while her own story was very sad, I feel as if she did not really explain how the media is affecting her daughter, she just said it has the possibility of affecting her daughter.  Newsom also explained her own story in a very monotone voice, which made her seem as if she was not very passionate about the material, which I found surprising for she made this entire, powerful documentary on the issue yet when she was telling her own story she seemed as if she was not passionate about it or was upset by the issue.

3 thoughts on “Thoughts on Miss Representation”

1. I disagree. I think that the documentary was very effective even if it did not show longer clips from films because they talked a lot about how women in film are not multidimensional characters. Simply taking this into consideration and relating it to the films we are familiar with is enough to make this point. Also, I can’t help but feel as if this were a man director we would not question his involvement in the documentary. There seemed to be a general critique of her scenes, ranging from what they appeared as to how she sounded and so on and so forth. We have all been brought up with these sexist tendencies and this is exactly what the film was trying to suggest. Yes, she didn’t say that the media will affect her daughter in a certain way but what about all those girls testifying the effects of the media? They may as well have been her daughter because these effects are universal. That was a very strong point, that this phenomenon of degrading women on television or in film is not just a singular problem but affects everyone. And the fact that we are picking these minute details to ridicule this film just proves to me that everything it stated it accurate.

2. I agree that the document was very effective and that the effects of sexism in the media can be universal. I just personally found it would’ve been even more effective to me if she sounded as passionate as she was while telling her story and also if she showed more film clips from popular movies, for it could’ve made the audience realize how often and how open sexism can be portrayed in movies. Also, with the comment about a man director making the film, I most likely would question it for a man would not be able to relate to the issues brought up in the film for they are not targeted as much as women are in the film.

3. I agree with you Tyler. I feel that there were too many clips about politics in the movie. I would have also liked to see clips from movies, music videos, or Hollywood celebrities because, especially among teens, these are more commonly viewed for girls and woman to try to be more like and model themselves after. Therefore, they are getting the wrong idea of how “real” women are suppose to look. I also agree with how even though the director tried to make the documentary personal with putting herself in it a few times, her monotone voice made her seem less concerned and passionate about the topic at hand.