Age of the Image- A Note on PowerPoints

keynote_powerpoint-400x354

I know that it wasn’t a huge part of the reading, but I thought that it was pretty interesting how Stephen Apkon dedicated a small section of “The Big Business of Images” to talking about PowerPoint and how important it has become in modern days.

While the section gave me some flashbacks to the thousands of PPT presentations I had to make in high school, it is weird to think that something so common to our lives (and that I think a lot of us take for granted) can really be so influential to both our student and professional careers. Almost everybody uses some form of PPT, whether that’s middle school students or the professionals we hope to be in the future, and they really are a testament to everything Apkon says in the book about the power of images. Most presentations can be pretty dull (unless the speaker is charismatic), but if the presentation makes use of a visual aid, more than likely our attention is going to be grabbed (at least to a greater extent than before). PowerPoints prove, for both good and bad, that humans are very visual creatures–we just don’t like our stories told to us, we like our stories shown to us.