Don Hertzfeldt’s IT’S SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY

I’ve been thinking about Moth Light, the experimental film we watched in class on Thursday, and I realized how much it reminded me of Don Hertzfeldt’s IT’S SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY. (The capital letters are a stylistic choice.) I wouldn’t say that it’s like Moth Light – for starters, BEAUTIFUL DAY has a cohesive story, is animated, and is around an hour long. But many of the shots in the film are reminiscent of Moth Light. There are countless lingering shots of nature, manipulation of the physical film, and a sense of other-worldliness throughout. I highly recommend watching it if you were intrigued by Moth Light – BEAUTIFUL DAY is a gorgeously made film and has a surprisingly emotional story for a hand drawn animated movie starring a stick figure. It’s currently available on Netflix for those who are interested in watching it.

One thought on “Don Hertzfeldt’s IT’S SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY”

1. I haven’t seen many experimental films, thank you for sharing this one. I appreciated watching it knowing what some of the editing techniques used were, like iris-in and iris-out, the handheld, shaky effect that was used for some of the text and what seemed to be stop-motion cinematography for the nature scenes, reminiscent of moth light as you mentioned. In this cartoon you’re also very aware of color, similar to moth light and it is focused on detail and the concept of death.