3 Replies to “The Future of Urban Dynamics & Transportation (Andrea Rizzo)”

1. Andrea,

I really enjoyed your slidecast and I learned a lot about the social dynamics of the past and the projected future. I thought you did a great job explaining the relationship between cities and technology. One slide that I found particularly interesting was the slide of the train car resembling a bomb reflecting people’s concerns for the future after dropping the atomic bombs in Japan. Another slide that I found interesting was the solar panel slide as I was not aware that scientists and engineers were working on and developing solar panels at the end of the 20th century. I thought the explanations on the present day examples of the man-made islands and the sustainable city in Dubai being a socio-technical system. I also enjoyed your conclusion on the future predictions of cities especially your slide on the straddling bus. The only critique I have for you is that you speak louder for your next slidecast, my volume was at its highest level and I had some trouble hearing you.

2. I appreciated how you discussed the broader context of the industrial revolution and how that revolution shaped the meaning of the word “technology.” This discussion put your topic into context. You did a good job setting up the problem of urban transportation, and how this problem shaped future visions of transportation. Your discussion of how advertising catered to the gender norms of the time was enlightening as well. In general, your slidecast does a very good job of placing each future vision of technology into the historical context of each time period you discussed. I would have possibly added more information about each picture you used, such as where it came from and what year it was from. Your slidecast was interesting because you looked at the development of transportation throughout the 20th century instead of focusing on a specific few years. However, I think it could also be interesting to go deeper into the context of future visions of transportation systems during a specific time in history rather than doing a broad overview. In general, this slidecast is very informative and I enjoyed watching it!

3. Hi Andrea,

I thought you did a fantastic job at discussing the situations and conditions that set up the demand for a revolution in transportation. For a topic like this, I think the bland way to do it would be to list 20 different hypothesized future transporation technologies and describe them. You chose to lay out the context and I really appreciated that, as I’m sure many of your viewers will as well. One issue that I had with this video was the audio. At certain points throughout the video, the audio clips would make a popping sound. I’m not sure if this is just coming from my computer, but it might be a problem that arises when you converted the ppt file to an iMovie (I had this problem with some of the other videos, but not all). Overall great work! I never knew that AAA stood for the “American Automobile Association”