Plays and Puppets

When I was about 15 my uncle brought me to my first broadway play since I had seen the Lion King when I was very young, it was called Avenue Q. For those that do not know Avenue Q is a comedy which utilizes both real people and puppets in its story. It was and still is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. This being the high point of my illegal downloading phase, my first instinct was to go on the internet and find a recording and watch it again. However, much to my dismay, I was unable to find any video of more than 2 minutes of the actual play. This really confused me, if movies and music were so easily accessible on the internet, why shouldn’t plays be readably accessible. Now though, I understand the importants of keeping plays off the internet, if plays were readily available on the internet it would devastate the industry. Not to mention it would take away from the art form as a whole. The day I saw Avenue Q it was a whole day trip, it was an experience. I took the train into the city, ate dinner in times square and then finally ended the night with the actual play, really adding to the play as an experience and not just something you see.

4 thoughts on “Plays and Puppets

1. sheetss Post author

yea its also interesting to think how little piracy has occurred during plays in nyc, probably because they’re so expensive

Reply
  2. filipekc Post author

This also reminds me of the brown bag. I found it really interesting that if your school was in a certain proximity of Broadway you could be denied rights to a currently running play because it could dig into their profits.

Reply
  3. rauc Post author

I had a similar experience with that show. One of my close friends went to see it and was telling me about it and told me that I had to watch it because it was hilarious, but I couldn’t find much to watch. However, I was able to easil,y illegally download some of the songs onto my ipod from the show.

Reply
  4. cantorb Post author

Having plays on the internet would cause them to be more like movies. I think it is all about the experience and the art of putting on a play. When we went to see “Arabian Nights”, there was so much artistic creativity that was put into the play and no two plays are going to be exactly the same.

Reply