Recording on Broadway

As other members of the class have noted, it is typical for live performances to discourage and even prohibit recordings of their performances to be made.  Broadway is notorious for this.  Many of my childhood memories involve ushers harshly whispering at me, nine year old Shannon, to put away my camera as I took pictures of the chandeliers and the stages.  At the time, I was a bit confused (and annoyed at the usher for yelling at me), but I now understand that the effects of illegal videos of live performances could greatly impact the financial stability of such performances, with Broadway being at the forefront.

In 2009, Patti LuPone, a well-known Broadway performer, famously stopped in the middle of a performance of Gypsy because an audience member was seen taking pictures of Ms. LuPone.  Funnily enough, the event itself was also videotaped.  The reactions to Ms. LuPone ranged widely.  Many praised her for standing up for herself and her art, while others considered it a gross over-reaction.  Personally, I agree with Ms. LuPone.  What do you think?  And what does it mean that there is a video of an actress stopping a show to yell about recording during performances?

One thought on “Recording on Broadway

1. mannap Post author

I could see why people would consider this an over-reaction. It wasn’t as if the audience member was trying to be rude to Ms. LuPone in any way. Also, it is unlikely that the act of taking such pictures interfered with the show or anyone’s viewing pleasure in any way.

Reply