Brownbag

I thought that the brownbag on Thursday was extremely interesting and it taught me a lot of things about copyright that I had never really considered or put much thought into. For example, I found it really shocking how much trouble the creator of a documentary has to go through to get certain aspects of the film cleared. I would have never guessed that it is such an arduous process. What particularly shocked me was learning how much trouble the speaker went through in an attempt to get Ke$ha’s song cleared in her documentary. Upon learning this, I couldn’t help but think to myself what a persevering woman the creator of the documentary was. I am sure that a lot of artists would not have attempted to go through the trouble she did, and would instead be tempted to give up and just cut that clip from the film altogether.

I noticed that Ke$ha does have a history of going after those who infringe works she has copyrighted, and that she is a bit picky when it comes to allowing others to use her work. For example, here is a case I found in which Ke$ha is suing the Wimo Labs company for copyright infringement:

http://www.andpop.com/2011/05/10/kesha-sues-wimo-labs-for-copyright-infringement/

One thought on “Brownbag

1. Abigail Williams Post author

It’s too bad that Professor Sikand has to go through Ke$ha’s people in this instance. I understand the purpose of having handlers deal with such legal issues and paper work, but I can’t think of a better reason to waive licensing fees and contracts than this scenario.

Reply