Brownbag

The brownbag on Tuesday was extremely enlightening – I didn’t know that most plays had to be performed exactly to a T, note for note. My mom had been telling me about a boy who was performing in his high school drama club, and dropped the “f” bomb because it was written in the script. The boy was suspended from school, and is pending charges; he was also supposed to be valedictorian, but that was revoked with his suspension. The director and the boy came under a lot of fire for that comment, but if each play is supposed to be performed exactly as written, then it is interesting because had he not dropped the F bomb, then it would have been an issue of copyright infringement. Either way, the director and student would have been screwed. Perhaps they should have picked a less provocative play.

2 thoughts on “Brownbag

1. Brittany Kulcsar Post author

I also did not know that most plays have to be performed so precisely. This made me realize just how much effort goes into performing a play, since everything has to be done so perfectly in order for its production to even be legal.

Reply
  2. Shannon Moran Post author

Censorship is a big problem, in schools especially. I do not think that the boy and his director should have been punished for following the script.

Reply