Musicians vs. Venues

I recently just read an article that discusses the performing rights of artist. The article describes how Taylor Swifts’ performing rights organization BMI was suing a North Dakota bar for playing her music without paying a licensing fee. I thought this was extremely interesting because for the first time the singer was actually in the middle of the lawsuit. The lawsuit involves performance rights and venues. A venue must pay royalties in order to play certain musicians songs. This particular case is interesting because it really shows both the strength of the law and the complication of the law.

When I think about the complication of the law, my mind immediately goes to Paul Goldstein and his opinions on copyright. Although Goldstein believes in having a strong set of copyright laws, he, also, discusses how complicated copyright has gotten with new technology and with the many different parties now involved in copyright issues.

Article

2 thoughts on “Musicians vs. Venues

1. sheetss Post author

I agree this article does show the power of copyright law and the complexity it has reached

Reply
  2. malhotrb Post author

Does this mean that karaoke in bars require copyright too? I think the web that copyright in this country has become ridiculous.

Reply