Female Circumcision series: #1 My feelings about female circumcision

So in the process of brainstorming today, the topic of female circumcision seemed like something I would like to speak about. Apart from taking a Women’s and Gender studies class in the Spring 2015, I have grown up in a diverse country where some cultures practice female circumcision. Seeing as a few people have asked me about this, I feel that this may be a good avenue to talk about this. I will however write this in small chunks, gradually adding to the discussion. I hope you find it insightful.

fgm

I feel that female circumcision is misunderstood in many foreign cultures that are not familiar with the practice. This is not to necessarily agree with the motivation or nature of some of it, but rather to have those looking at the practice have an objective eye without bias or prejudice of assuming those that do it to be uncivilized.  Culture is an essence that spearheads the identity of individuals in many communities especially in the Eastern part of the world, whether harmful, those that adhere to it will go to worrying lengths to ensure its continuity. Thus, in the case for circumcision which is mostly a deeply ingrained part of such cultures, I feel that its more of a claim of uniqueness of a group and also guarding ‘morality’ in a way that has the man’s best interest at heart. With as much as some are more horrific in nature than others, and it seems only logical to do away with such ‘barbaric’ and ‘uncivilized’ practices, I do know first hand some friends of mine and some relatives that have been circumcised and proud. Among them, I am the outsider who is made fun of at times, heartily, for not having gone through the cut. It is terrible how many girls are forced into this and the consequences that follow, even death! The driving forces for the cut, most discussed in the “Should I Circumcise My Daughter?” reading are very inter-sectional and a group, for various reasons cannot simply be branded “brutes”, “barbaric”,… for the practice. It is imperative that the practice be ceased as soon as possible using different media, but the approach of “let’s save you from brown men and the uncivilized way you live” only demeans the group and gives it the impression of being seen as helpless and inferior in not only thinking, but also livelihood. Consequently, as also cited in the before mentioned reading, the group instead of focusing on the possible truth in the harm the practice causes, they may choose to turn to the West, for instance as a common enemy trying to erode their way of life. This is why for instance, you find some women who also went through some excruciating experience when it was their time to be circumcised, being supportive of the practice instead of rallying against it. Another reason may be that they may not know better due to the retrogressive nature of the particular community.