During the first semester the Freshman will see the position held by Fraternities on Lafayette’s campus. In addition to this, he will further be introduced to the fraternity system through a series of compulsory orientation meetings to be held throughout the semester.
The following rules have been set up by the Interfraternity Council for the good of the College, the student, and the fraternity. This agreement is dependent upon the wholehearted cooperation of all concerned. It is our hope that through the acceptance and adherence to this agreement that we will be able to build a better Lafayette.
1. First semester there will be no contact between Freshmen and any upperclassmen associated with a living group, other than normal day to day activities. No upperclassman associated with a living group will be allowed to visit Freshman living dorms, nor will Freshmen be allowed to enter any Social Dorm or Fraternity at any time during the first semester. Contact off campus is also prohibited.
2. No freshman will be required to go through formal rushing; nor will any Freshman be allowed to rush who is on academic probation.
3. No alcoholic beverages will be served to Freshmen. Any Freshman who partakes will be liable to revocation of his rushing privileges.
4. During the formal rushing period each Freshman must have his card signed by the President or Rushing Chairman of at least ten houses, two of which must be located off campus.
5. Formal rushing will consist of the following, beginning the first week of the second semester:
1. First week open houses will be held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
2. Second week open houses will be held Monday and Friday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Informal visitations to Fraternities will be allowed Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from the hours of 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. At all other times during this week quiet hours will be in effect.
3. Freshmen will turn in by Saturday noon of the second week their lists for preferential meals.
4. Third week meal rotation will begin Monday lunch and will continue through Wednesday dinner. Freshmen will be allowed in Fraternity Houses from 11:00 a.m. until 7:15 p.m. on these days.
5. Quiet period will begin Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. and will continue until Friday at 5:00 p.m., at which time the Freshmen will go to the houses to which they have been pledged.
6. Freshmen will turn in their pledging lists by Thursday at noon.
6. Any Freshman who does not participate in this formal rushing program will not be permitted to rush or pledge any living group until April first.
7. No Greek Week activity will take place during the second semester.
8. The rules and violations of this agreement will be enforced by the Interfraternity Council.
Intrafraternity Council, 1960