My Evolving Perception of American Culture

My impression of America at the beginning was shaped by my experience of New York City, a bustling urban jungle that never seemed to rest. Everywhere I looked, the sky was sliced into strips by towering skyscrapers, like giant blue nets cast over the entire city. In the early hours of the morning, before dawn even broke, the gyms were already packed with people, and the cafes were overflowing with customers during the day. In this concrete jungle, people from different parts of the world spoke different languages and pursued different careers, navigating their way between busy buildings or on old, wet platforms. But despite their differences, everyone seemed to be in a hurry, constantly moving and chasing after their own stories and dreams.

This is probably what I imagined my life would be like before I came to the U.S. – I would spend my four years of college in hustle and bustle, trying to get a higher GPA and more internships. However, as I settled into my college life, I quickly realized that there was much more to my experience than just getting good grades and internships. While those things were certainly important, they were not the only things that mattered, when I first arrived to the campus. The architecture of Lafayette and Easton were a stark contrast to the urban environment that I had grown up in. The school boasted a modern library that was heavily covered in trees, and the old school buildings added to the charm of the town.

Upon my initial arrival to campus, I experienced some unease and anxiety due to my concerns about encountering high levels of pressure and competition. Nonetheless, I quickly discovered that these fears were unfounded. I was fortunate enough to meet a wonderful roommate who introduced me to local restaurants and opportunities for relaxation. Additionally, I encountered excellent instructors who not only encouraged class participation, but also provided extra study materials and guidance. Contrary to my initial expectations, the school’s competitive environment was not as intense as I had anticipated.

I came to NYC again, my initial expectations of New York were not entirely accurate, as I discovered a diverse range of activities and experiences that took place beyond the bustling city streets. People were enjoying after-work drinks in lively pubs, jogging in Central Park, and admiring the sunset from the Brooklyn Bridge. The cityscape itself was breathtaking, with the skyline illuminated against an orange-hued sky.

New York seemed to offer endless possibilities, like a never-ending epic movie with a constant flow of people coming and going. The city was full of energy and a sense of adventure, and it was clear that there was always something new and exciting to discover.

[Chinese]

我一开始对美国的印象就是我对纽约的印象,繁华的城市丛林,人们像猎人一样,好像从来不休息。抬头看到的天空永远被摩天大楼分割成了条状,像蓝色的大网罩住了整个城市。凌晨四点天还没亮就人头攒动的健身房,人满为患的咖啡厅。在这座钢筋水泥构成的城市里,人们说着不一样的语言,做着不一样的工作,行走在繁华的楼宇之间亦或者潮湿老旧的站台里。无论处在哪种境地,无论是为了什么目的和意义,在这里,人们都行色匆匆,永不停歇,演绎着自己的故事和梦想。

这可能也是我到美国前所想象的我的生活—我会忙碌地度过大学四年,为了更高的gpa,更多的实习经历。但当我第一次看见学校的建筑,这种想法就已经悄然改变。学校和小镇跟我所长大的环境已经我所想象的城市截然不同,他厚重,绿树掩映之中,摩登的图书馆和古老的教学楼交错相陈,置身其中恍如远离喧嚣,宁静悠远的感受让人神驰。

当我第一次踏入校园时,我感到有些不安和紧张,因为我担心自己会感到压力很大,也会遇到很多竞争。然而,我很快就发现自己的担心是多余的。我遇到了一个很好的室友,他会带我去放松,去探索小镇附近的餐馆。还遇到了很好的老师鼓励积极参与课堂讨论,并提供额外的学习资源和建议。学校的竞争氛围并没有我想的那么大。

后来我再去到了纽约,其实并非我所想的那样。人们下班后在嘈杂的酒馆小酌,或是在中央公园慢跑或是在布鲁克林大桥上看日落。夕阳西下,华灯初上,天际线像是被画进橙色天空里。在这里你可以做任何你想做的事情。整个城市就像永不落幕的史诗电影—来来往往川流不息。