Portrayal of women in advertisement.

I came across a Ted talk video that was organized at Lafayette College a year ago.This talk is relevant to two topics discussed in the class: 1) Does sex sell? 2)Photoshopification.The speaker gives several examples of advertisements over the years which used sex as a means to sell a product.Her statement “Ads sell more than just products” explains her talk in a  sentence.This talk focuses on how advertisements are using women not just to sell their products but also are changing the attitudes women have about themselves  and also the perception of women in today’s world.The saying by Cindy Crawford ” I wished I looked like Cindy Crawford” summarizes the extent in which  photoshop is used today’s advertising.She also mentions about two examples where sex is used in advertisement of food products including fast food.She states that such advertisements don’t directly cause violence against women but normalizes the dangerous and threatening attitudes toward women. Her analysis of the difference between portrayal of men and women in advertising is worth discussion.