The Hunting Ground

I thought this movie was the most powerful film we have watched this semester. The way the film was set up and the young women that  were interviewed made the issue presented by this film heard by the audience.The way the film was set up was like 4 years of college. At the beginning, the director decided to show the acceptance videos and go right into orientation. From there he focused on 4 main stories of sexual assault. Each unique in its own way. One focused on fraternities, one focused on sports teams, etc. At the end of the documentary, We see the graduation ceremonies of the colleges that were featured in the the film . After, we see the two main women traveling in a car all over the country showing us that the fight to stop sexual assault is not over.

2 thoughts on “The Hunting Ground”

1. Yes, I thought this documentary was very well made. In the beginning I couldn’t help to feel uncomfortable at the fact that the girls were so happy to get into the college of their dreams, yet they had no idea what was in store for them. I thought this documentary used statistics strategically and visually illustrated them very well. When their was a very powerful statistic, Kirby Dick even listed a couple of sources, just to show how accurate the stat was. I also thought it was cool how he brought in the story of James Winston, a case in which many people knew about. They opened the story without saying his name, which made me see the situation for what it really was. When they mentioned that the person was James Winston I very surprised and was convinced he had done the crime. This documentary was a good voice for rape victims all over. Hopefully it will bring more attention to the issue and allow more schools to take action.

2. I found this to be the best film of the semester also. I couldn’t stop thinking about it after I watched it to the point where I had some of the girls in my sorority watch the trailer and it also peaked their interest and now they’re trying to figure out where and when they can watch it. This topic is rarely talked about, but it needs to be addressed and I feel the way that I can make more people find out about this is by telling them to watch this film and hope they feel the same way that I do.