The House I Live In: Drugs and Escape

In this documentary, I loved the layout. I loved how the documentary talked about the drugs and the impacts it has on so many families first. Then, the documentary discussed the survival aspect of selling drugs. The idea that it isn’t for moral pleasure but for pure survival in a world that doesn’t hire ex criminals. The documentary continues to talk about the youth and how they are constantly being sucked into the whole drug dealing world at such a young age that they don’t know anything else. The interviews with affected victims were very powerful towards the end in that they carried the effect of drugs on their facial expressions. I could feel their pain through the screen. Lastly, I enjoyed the ending. The whole topic of the man who was sentenced to life in jail on probation for smuggling small amounts of drugs. I think it’s ridiculous that his mom had to go through everything she went through with her son and dead daughter. The ending really paved the way for the possible future of drugs and laws against drugs.

3 thoughts on “The House I Live In: Drugs and Escape”

1. I agree, Jarecki did a wonderful job of covering all aspects of the problem and how it effects all generations. The ending left a place for other people to go and make a difference. His documentary brought awareness to the issue so that people have a well rounded view of the problem and are sufficiently informed to go and make a difference. The man who had a life sentence makes the viewers questions certain laws and policies which drives people to want to make a change

2. I agree as well. I loved the whole idea of how Jarecki tried to convey how the selling of the drugs was not for the pleasure and use of but for each person’s survival to have a life and be able to pay for housing, food, etc… And I was also outraged by the ending inmate who was sentenced for life over the smuggling of such small amounts. It is amazing how he has been given the same punishment as murder would receive. I think this documentary did a great job is getting the message out there about new laws that need to be established.

1. To add to the comments above, I thought Jarecki did an incredible job of having the audience connect emotionally with the inmates an individuals interviewed. By creating this emotional connection forced the viewer to see the jail system and inmates in a different light, specifically the last inmate. To see a man who is sentenced for life knowingly carry on his days with hope was really touching and elicits a very strong emotional response from the viewer(at least myself).