Bride and Prejudice

The use of color in Gurinder Chadha’s film Bride and Prejudice was beautifully done. This specific element of mise-en-scène gave greater meanings to certain scenes in the movie.

The first example is how every time we were in India everyone was always dressed in very bright colors and the sun was always shinning. While in America, people were dressed in duller attire. I think the purpose of these color contrasts was to show that when in America the main characters, who are from India originally, saw it as a foreign place that was not their home and one that they did not wish to move to like Lalita’s friend.

The color worn by the characters were also used to express their moods. For example, Lalita wore a white gown to her friends wedding in America. In America, white is seen as a color of purity where in India it is seen as a color of mourning. Lalita wears the color white to show that she is sad after William appears to have a girlfriend.

It is amazing how something as simple as colors can give a different meaning to a movie.

2 thoughts on “Bride and Prejudice”

1. Although I agree with what you said above, I would like to add my own twist to it. I personally think that the addition of such bright colors is intentionally for audience members to feel emotionally connected to the film. Not only this, but the brighter colors give off a sense of happiness and the notion for “happy endings” within journeys of love. I noticed the dull colors in America, but I can’t really say with confidence that I agree with you in the regard that they had no initial desire for India. But great job in your post!

2. I also agree with the comment above me. I feel as though the colors used throughout this movie definitely played hand and hand with the emotions of the scenes. Although it was a bollywood movie and they always tend to use bright colors which really brings life into each person as well.