Taking it back to Children Of Men

While researching a bit more about Children of Men for my paper last week I came upon an interview with Cuaron that I found interesting.  In the interview Cuaron talks about  about the biblical references, and the transition from book to film. Children of Men was derived from the book by P. D. James, but in the book Kee was not a character.  In the interview Cuaron stated that they made Kee African American because “as far as we know, human life sprang out of Africa.” I found this very interesting. In class we talked about how the movie had many biblical references but this completely goes against that notion.

Here is the link:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=128363

One thought on “Taking it back to Children Of Men”

1. I read the article you posted and I thought another really interesting point was brought up. Later in the interview, Annie Wagner (the interviewer I’m assuming) and Alfonso Cuaron discuss Children of Men’s “nativity scene”. In the interview, Cuaron says that we romanticize the original nativity scene to something more heartwarming and easy to handle hearing when it was actually an incredibly difficult journey. In a way, Children of Men tells a “truer” version of the biblical nativity scene than the Bible does.