Similarities between Radio Raheem and Eric Garner

Here’s a video that places the death of Radio Raheem and Eric Garner Right next to each other. The Similarities are shocking but it highlights the power of film in ways we do not typically view them in.

3 thoughts on “Similarities between Radio Raheem and Eric Garner”

1. This video was extremely hard to watch and is mind blowing in their similarities. I’m curious as to what you think this says about the power of film. I know for me this tells us that film is more than a form of entertainment but a close up lens into our society. In this movie we see such a relation to whats happening around us today and that’s from a movie made in 1989. This tells us so much about the importance of film and the ides of media being a mirror.

2. While watching this scene for the first time, it was hard for me not to see the similarities in the two incidents. Although we all like to think that racial tensions have decreased in today’s society from that of the past, we cannot ignore some of the events that are still going on around us. In cases like that of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, and Travon Martin, we see how riots and protests can erupt from such causes almost identical to the one in the movie. This movie does an excellent job in not only portraying the tension of the time, but also continues to portray, in some sense, our society today.

3. Wow. When I originally watched the film I instantly thought about Eric Garner during that scene and how he was also someone whose death stemmed from an arrest. This side by side is eerily similar. Thank you for bringing this to everyone’s attention because I really think its things like this that are important and show how cinema can mirror reality.