“The earth hath he given to the children of men”

One of the most prominent connections that can be made in the movie “Children of Men” is the biblical connection and many references the movie makes to experiences that have happened in the bible. To begin the title “Children of Men” is from psalm 115:16 that says “The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD’S: but the earth hath he given to the children of men.” I find this very interesting because there is a scene in the movie where the citizens are protesting with signs that read such things as God is the one who has taken away infertility as a punishment. But in this psalm it is saying that God has given us the greatest of greats, the earth. The entire movie is based on this idea of keeping Kee safe because she is pregnant with the one thing that holds the answers to everything and that will save humanity. This could be seen as a direct biblical allusion to the Nativity story and Mary’s journey to the birth of our savior Jesus. By having such a powerful connection I believe made the movie overall more compelling. Being a catholic myself I was able to connect on a different level because of the similar stories. It made the movie stronger in my eyes.