Biblical References with the Music: Children of Men

Like many movies, the music in Children of Men had a direct correlation to what was going on in the scene. What I thought was interesting was the music that played every time Kee’s baby was the focus of the scene. The music for these scenes reminded me of church hymns. These hymns playing in the background only added to the biblical aspect of Kee and her baby. It made them seem more important, and god like, then they were already portrayed. It especially helped almost exagerate the scene where the fugitives and the army stopped fighting in order to watch them pass through to safety. This music put an additional emphasis on the miracle of Kee’s baby, and added an extra sense of praise for both of them.

One thought on “Biblical References with the Music: Children of Men”

1. I completely agree with your take on the music. I noticed this also as I went to Catholic school growing up. It was almost like each scene involving the baby the camera would pause for a second and along with this the music these things would help emphasize the importance of this miracle. For me it also showed how desperate the people had original been because seeing the child for the first time caused them to stop fighting even if it was for a few moments.