First Impressions and Revelations: Unveiling the Real America

My initial impression of the United States was quite peculiar.

Before arriving in the U.S., I had always imagined that as one of the most developed countries in the world, it would boast clean cityscapes, clear social structures, and positive societal norms. However, the reality was unexpectedly different once I set foot on this land.

Landing at Kennedy Airport, I was eager to confirm my preconceived notions, scanning the surroundings with an unrestrained gaze. Yet, awkwardness and discomfort arose from being in an unfamiliar place. En route to New York by taxi, the highways, which bore the marks of time, appeared neither broad nor neat; the cross-sea bridges were covered in rust, emitting an industrial aura that seemed far removed from my expectations. Entering Manhattan, the entire island was neatly divided into blocks by roads. Skyscrapers stood tall, and the people appeared in a hurry, carrying a sense of suppression, perhaps due to the hustle and bustle of the big city. Unlike what I had imagined, even with preparation, there was inevitable resistance and confusion when facing this new society.

The lights of New York at night are brilliant, but there are always safety problems, along with the diverse and unfamiliar faces on the streets, not to mention the presence of addicts. I was amazed at the environment when I first stepped into the subway station and put down the idea of careful exploration.

After coming to the school, I kept learning, interacting, and exploring; I discovered an atmosphere of inclusiveness in the United States. Even before fully acclimating, my classmates helped explain the briefly mentioned definitions, worked on group assignments with me, and offered enthusiastic assistance with segments I needed help understanding. My school, away from the urban noise, was starkly different from the rural life I witnessed and experienced. People lived contentedly, including the cleaner who dedicated himself wholeheartedly to his work. Their warm greetings every morning conveyed a profound love for life.

During my studies, I met with a retired couple, both former teachers, at a restaurant and got along well with them. For the first time, I was treated and paid by strangers. Their kindness and erudition made me feel the simplicity of social ethos and humanistic care, even as a foreigner in a foreign land.

Looking at the United States now, I no longer feel the initial timidity but a recognition and appreciation for another culture and customs. The U.S. has its flaws: the inevitable “bad guys,” rampant drug issues, and somewhat disordered cityscapes, with everyone going their way, which can be astonishing to newcomers. But when you see the protected nature, the majesty of Niagara Falls, the grandeur of the Grand Canyon, and the hustle and bustle of cities lit up at night; You’ll find no shortage of ‘ lovely ‘ people when you experience the pursuit of happiness and love for life here. Everything becomes familiar again; different cultures and regions are filled with human warmth.

I suppose this might be the true meaning of studying abroad.

[Chinses]

第一印象和启示:揭开真实的美国

我对美国的第一印象很怪。

在到达美国之前,我曾一直以为,美国作为世界上最发达的国家之一,应当有整洁的城市面貌、清晰的社会制度,以及良好的社会风气。然而,当真正踏足这片土地的时候,一切都出人预料。

降落在肯尼迪机场,满心欢喜的想要验证内心的想法,收不住目光地扫视着周围的环境,却又因人生地不熟带来些许窘迫与不从容。打车前往纽约,高速路已有了年份,并不显得宽阔而整洁;跨海大桥更是锈迹斑斑,重金属的气息扑面而来,一切仿佛跟预计相去甚远。进入曼哈顿,整座岛屿被道路分割成整齐的方块,放眼望去,高楼林立,人们行色匆匆,有些许的压抑,或许是来自大城市的喧嚣与繁忙。与想象中的感觉不同,就算做好了准备,在与这样的一个新社会接触时,不可避免得有些抵触,也茫然。晚上的纽约灯火辉煌,因为总听说有安全问题,加上街上形形色色的陌生面孔,并不少见的瘾君子,第一次踏入地铁站时对于环境的惊诧,便放下了细致探索的想法。

来到学校后,不断的学习、接触、探索,我发现美国充满包容的氛围。在还未完全适应的情况下,同学们帮我解释老师一带而过的定义,一起做小组作业,一些不理解的板块也受到同学们的热情帮助。我的学校远离城市的喧嚣,却又与我所看到、切身体会的乡村生活大相径庭。人们都有自己的生活,都乐在其中,打扫卫生的大爷,也全身心投入在自己的工作里,每每早上见到他们,热情的问候无不透露着他们对生活的热爱。学习期间,与一对退休教师老夫妇在餐厅偶遇,聊得颇为投缘,第一次被陌生人请客买单,他们的善良、博学让我身在异国他乡却感受到了朴实的社会风气和人文情怀。

再放眼看美国,已然没有最初的胆怯,更多的是对另一种文化、习惯的认可与欣赏。美国有它的缺点,不可避免的“坏人”,泛滥的毒品,略显杂乱的大城市风貌,各行其是的人,无不让初来乍到的人“瞠目结舌”。但当你看到被保护的自然,尼亚加拉瀑布的壮观,大峡谷的气势磅礴,华灯初上时大城市的繁华、热闹,当你用心体会,这里同样有着追求幸福、热爱生活的人们,不乏那些“可爱”的人,一切又是那么熟悉, 不同的文化、地区,却又充满了人情味儿。

我想,可能这便是留学的意义吧。