Terrorism in Battle of Algiers

I thought that the terrorism aspect of this movie was very interesting. You almost want the terrorists to succeed so that Algeria will be free from the French, but in the same sense it mirrors passed incidents that have destroyed many lives and caused death all over the world. I tried to look a little further into the films history and how the terrorist aspect was perceived back when it was released. I found that theaters all over France that attempted to show the movie were bombed and viewers in Italy were attacked over this controversial film. Many times people don’t realize how influential a film like this can be. Many people argue that the Middle East learned how to produce terror from Algeria.

This article is a really interesting read telling how accurate Pontecorvo’s depiction of this movie was, how it affected the world, and how it mirrors the world today:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2003/08/the_pentagons_film_festival.html

One thought on “Terrorism in Battle of Algiers”

1. I feel even today many people in our country today, including myself, don’t really know what current wars are like. Yes, we hear about them and how they affect many different lives in sometimes horrific ways, but we don’t know what actually is happening over seas. Films today are all about action shots with many bombs and explosive objects. The viewers think that its just done because that is what they want to see, however, it could potential be what current wars are.