Learning in Italy

While I am not able to take a full semester to study abroad, I have tried to create other experiences with whatever limited time I have and paltry resources I can round up. While I have extremely limited free time on campus all year I do try to find as much part time work as I can in the evenings. I am terribly busy with dog walking on the Rover app. I do love animals, but I always tell myself that these hours spent with the animals will allow me to travel in the summer for a couple of weeks, try and immerse myself for that short period of time and fill in the gaps to fulfill my dream of traveling and learning abroad. My mother was born in Poland and emigrated to America and my father’s family is from Portugal, so Europe was my target.
Being an NCAA Division I athlete, I cannot do semesters abroad. I am a member of the women’s soccer team here at Lafayette and I have responsibilities to my team and to the university to practice, train and perform. It is truly a sisterhood and brotherhood shared sacrifice and there is a lot of pride involved in representing Lafayette College. There are, however, some sacrifices like not giving up one of your 8 semesters here to live abroad and study. Being able to maintain high standards in the classroom and on the field also does not allow me to work very much to earn the extra funds it sometimes takes to study abroad.
Throughout my freshman year whenever I could try to add customers through Rover and little by little I was able to save enough money and plan for an experience last summer in Italy. My original intent was to see the whole country. The fashionable city centers, the religious centers, and of course all the traditional ruins that we know of in Rome and the vast remains of the Roman Empire. An interesting thing happened while I was researching Italy and unique ways to see it. I had a memory of a book I read as a child. It was a series of books called “I Survived.” This series of 24 books. We were able to buy new books each month in grade school through a discounted book club program where we only paid $3.00 per book Joined the Scholastic Book Club for two years. My favorite of them was, “I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii 79 A.D.”
My search for a summer of 2023 trip led to some professors from the university of Campania, Italy. Because they do not have summer classes, they often work for many large tour companies four to five days a week in the summers. They did bus tours and guided many tourists coming in on cruise ships. However, some also did private tours on days off and for a reasonable price, one could take a small group and share an intimate look at Pompeii and share the history of archaeology. I joined a small group of other students as we met Giorgio. He was dressed in a linen suit despite the temperature of 90 degrees. He lived in Campania Italy taught Archeology and some basic history classes there at the university of Campania.
Before arriving in Italy my idea or perception of archaeology and its study revolved around Egypt and Machu Picchu in Peru. Despite reading that book in 4th grade ignorant To What had been done and studied there over the last 275 years. Georgio quickly informed us what we would see, and experience here truly marked the start of the modern science of Archeology! At the university of Campania, he teaches all this material. To think that the study of archeology began right here was an amazing thought. They have uncovered approximately 170 acres of the city. The city was home to over 11,000 people. To put that into perspective the main campus at Lafayette is about 110 acres where about 2500 students live. To learn about the history of the volcanic blast and all the destruction preservation sparked another idea in my mind as I thought of future opportunities to study off campus!
In the two days we spent with Giorgio we had an unbelievable amount of exchange about education. He was as interested in our colleges and universities in the US as we were with what he taught. While most of us were in amazement and expressed admiration that the university of Campania was free to all qualified students, he did not seem to flinch when I explained Lafayette
tuition was $64,000. While my head was spinning that you could learn from such a great professor locally for free, Giorgio opened my eyes to a much different perspective, one of access to education. He knew that in the United States there were approximately 6,000 colleges and universities that served our population of over 300 million. Italy’s 60 million residents had only approximately 100 universities and there were only 1.5 million college students in Italy While in the US it was closer to 20 million. He told us that despite the costs and the hurdles of tuition in general that everyone, if they wanted it, could be educated in the United States and that simply was not the case in Italy. He said he was an admirer of our junior college system where there are exceptionally low costs and open access to all students with paths to eventually enter the larger college systems. As we did some of our own research on what he told us, we realized that just in Pennsylvania there 300 colleges. An abundance of opportunity.
While there were so many fantastic learnings in Pompeii there are a few that stood out as the most unique and in some cases incredibly sad. In all the homes that have been found preserved there was no evidence of kitchens or ovens found in the homes or any of the merchant locations. So, a city of over 11,000 relied on a series of “restaurants” and “bakeries“. Pompeii was known as a city of merchants that served the port nearby. Those who had businesses that dealt in serving food worked almost 24 hours a day. One of the incredibly sad recent archeological discoveries has been described as a “Bakery-Prison.” The ancient bakery is where enslaved people labored under cruel conditions. The workers put in long hours at the site which also doubled as a prison alongside donkeys to grind grain for bread. There was a very cramped space with minimal light. The windows to the outside were very tiny, they were extremely high, and they were barred. Evidence of Ancient slavery is something that has been uncovered in Egypt, but these are the most recent findings in Pompeii.
My favorite discovery in all of Pompeii is the fact that homeowners and merchants alike used dogs as protectors and the signs/quote “beware of dog” was alive and well about 2,000 years ago! A now famous mosaic tile has been preserved at the entrance to a building and the mosaic portrays a dog with the words Cave Canem inscribed. The words translated to “beware the dog.” As an animal lover, an aspiring veterinarian and one who earned much of the money for this trip through the Rover application work, it was an unforgettable moment. Georgio knew so much about the house where the mosaic was laid out. It was in The House of The Tragic Poet. The house also had other elaborate mosaic floors and frescoes depicting scenes from Geek Mythology.
How could I travel again? How could I learn more? For soccer we arrive on campus each year on July 30 and our responsibilities take us through May the following year. However, I now know about the “interim” learning at Lafayette. These are classes during the winter break that cost the same as regular classes, but they are compressed in three weeks. To combine what I learned in Pompeii about archeology and volcanoes I mapped out my plan over the next two winters. This January of 2024 took a class In Hawaii called Geological evolution of the Hawaiian Islands(GEOL 150). We visited a half dozen volcanoes and learned about their history and how they formed the islands themselves. Next winter I plan to explore archeology much deeper while visiting Machu Picchu Peru in the class, Exploring Peru’s Indigenous populations in the modern day(INDS 208). Becoming immersed in a new culture to me seems like the only way to really experience a great depth of Learning of these different parts of the world, the different people, and different histories. I am extremely grateful that I took the leap on my own and figured out a relatively inexpensive way to experience learning in a different part of the world and now it has set me on this path.

[Italian] Anche se non sono in grado di dedicare un intero semestre allo studio all’estero, ho cercato di
creare altre esperienze con il tempo limitato che ho e con le risorse limitate che posso raccogliere. Nonostante abbia un tempo libero estremamente limitato in campus durante tutto l’anno, cerco comunque di trovare quante più occupazioni part-time possibile nelle serate. Sono terribilmente impegnata con il lavoro di dog walking sull’app Rover. Amo gli animali, ma mi dico sempre che queste ore trascorse con gli animali mi permetteranno di viaggiare in estate per un paio di settimane, cercare di immergermi per quel breve periodo e colmare le lacune per realizzare il mio sogno di viaggiare e imparare all’estero. Mia madre è nata in Polonia ed è emigrata in America e la famiglia di mio padre è del Portogallo, quindi l’Europa era il mio obiettivo.
Essendo un atleta della Divisione I della NCAA, non posso fare semestri all’estero. Sono membro della squadra di calcio femminile qui a Lafayette e ho responsabilità nei confronti della mia squadra e dell’università per allenarmi, prepararmi e competere. È veramente una fratellanza e una sorellanza, condividendo sacrifici e c’è molto orgoglio nel rappresentare il Lafayette College. Ci sono, tuttavia, alcuni sacrifici come non rinunciare a uno dei tuoi 8 semestri qui per vivere all’estero e studiare. Essere in grado di mantenere elevati standard in aula e sul campo non mi permette nemmeno di lavorare molto per guadagnare i fondi extra che a volte servono per studiare all’estero.
Durante il mio primo anno di matricola, ogni volta che potevo cercavo di aggiungere clienti tramite Rover e pian piano sono riuscita a risparmiare abbastanza denaro e pianificare un esperienza lo scorso estate in Italia. La mia intenzione originaria era di visitare l’intero paese. I centri città alla moda, i centri religiosi e naturalmente tutte le rovine tradizionali di cui conosciamo a Roma e i vasti resti dell’Impero Romano. È successa una cosa interessante mentre stavo facendo ricerca sull’Italia e sui modi unici per visitarla. Avevo un ricordo di un libro che avevo letto da bambina. Era una serie di libri chiamata “Io sono sopravvissuto”. Questa serie di 24 libri. Riuscivamo a comprare nuovi libri ogni mese a scuola elementare attraverso un programma di club del libro scontato dove pagavamo solo $3.00 a libro. Mi sono unita al Scholastic Book Club per due anni. Il mio preferito era “Io sono sopravvissuto alla distruzione di Pompei 79 d.C.”.
La mia ricerca per un viaggio estivo del 2023 mi ha portato a contattare alcuni professori dell’Università di Campania, in Italia. Poiché non hanno corsi estivi, lavorano spesso per molte grandi compagnie turistiche quattro o cinque giorni alla settimana d’estate. Facevano tour in autobus e guidavano molti turisti che arrivavano sulle navi da crociera. Tuttavia, alcuni facevano anche tour privati nei giorni liberi e, a un prezzo ragionevole, si poteva prendere un piccolo gruppo e condividere uno sguardo intimo su Pompei e condividere la storia dell’archeologia. Mi sono unita a un piccolo gruppo di altri studenti quando abbiamo incontrato Giorgio. Indossava un completo di lino nonostante i 90 gradi di temperatura. Viveva in Campania, Italia, insegnava Archeologia e alcune lezioni di storia di base presso l’Università di Campania.
Prima di arrivare in Italia, la mia idea o percezione dell’archeologia e del suo studio ruotava attorno all’Egitto e a Machu Picchu in Perù. Nonostante avessi letto quel libro in quarta elementare, ero ignorante su ciò che era stato fatto e studiato lì negli ultimi 275 anni. Georgio ci ha rapidamente informato su ciò che avremmo visto e sperimentato qui, segnando veramente l’inizio della moderna scienza dell’archeologia! All’Università di Campania, insegna tutto questo materiale. Pensare che lo studio dell’archeologia sia iniziato proprio qui era un pensiero incredibile. Hanno scoperto circa 170 acri della città. La città ospitava oltre 11.000 persone. Per mettere in prospettiva, il campus principale del Lafayette è di circa 110 acri, dove vivono circa 2500 studenti. Imparare la storia dell’eruzione vulcanica e tutta la conservazione della distruzione ha suscitato un’altra idea nella mia mente mentre pensavo a future opportunità di studio fuori campus!
Nei due giorni trascorsi con Giorgio abbiamo avuto un incredibile scambio di idee sull’istruzione. Era interessato tanto alle nostre università negli Stati Uniti quanto noi lo eravamo per ciò che insegnava. Mentre la maggior parte di noi era stupefatta ed esprimeva ammirazione per il fatto che l’Università di Campania fosse gratuita per tutti gli studenti qualificati, lui non sembrava sussultare quando spiegavo che la retta del Lafayette era di 64.000 dollari. Mentre la mia testa girava per il fatto che potessi imparare da

un tale ottimo professore localmente gratuitamente, Giorgio mi ha aperto gli occhi su una prospettiva molto diversa, quella dell’accesso all’istruzione. Sapeva che negli Stati Uniti ci sono circa 6.000 college e università che servono una popolazione di oltre 300 milioni di persone. I 60 milioni di residenti in Italia avevano solo circa 100 università e vi erano solo 1,5 milioni di studenti universitari in Italia, mentre negli Stati Uniti erano più vicini a 20 milioni. Ci ha detto che nonostante i costi e gli ostacoli delle tasse in generale, tutti, se lo desideravano, potevano ricevere un’istruzione negli Stati Uniti e questo semplicemente non era il caso in Italia. Ha detto di ammirare il nostro sistema di junior college, dove ci sono costi eccezionalmente bassi e accesso aperto a tutti gli studenti con percorsi per entrare eventualmente nei sistemi universitari più grandi. Mentre facevamo alcune ricerche su ciò che ci aveva detto, abbiamo realizzato che solo in Pennsylvania ci sono 300 college. Un’abbondanza di opportunità.
Anche se ci sono stati tanti fantastici apprendimenti a Pompei, ce ne sono stati alcuni che si sono distinti come i più unici e, in alcuni casi, incredibilmente tristi. In tutte le case che sono state trovate conservate, non c’era alcuna evidenza di cucine o forni nelle abitazioni o in nessuna delle località commerciali. Quindi, una città di oltre 11.000 persone si affida a una serie di “ristoranti” e “panetterie”. Pompei era conosciuta come una città di mercanti che serviva il porto nelle vicinanze. Coloro che avevano attività commerciali legate al servizio di cibo lavoravano quasi 24 ore al giorno. Una delle scoperte archeologiche recenti incredibilmente tristi è stata descritta come una “panetteria-prigione”. L’antica panetteria è dove le persone schiavizzate lavoravano in condizioni crudeli. I lavoratori passavano lunghe ore sul sito, che fungeva anche da prigione accanto al mulino per macinare il grano per il pane. C’era uno spazio molto angusto con luce minima. Le finestre verso l’esterno erano molto piccole, molto alte e barrate. L’evidenza della schiavitù antica è qualcosa che è stata scoperta in Egitto, ma queste sono le scoperte più recenti a Pompei.
La mia scoperta preferita in tutta Pompei è il fatto che proprietari di case e commercianti usavano i cani come protettori e i cartelli / citazioni “attenzione al cane” erano vivi e vegeti circa 2.000 anni fa! Un mosaico ora famoso è stato conservato all’ingresso di un edificio e il mosaico raffigura un cane con le parole Cave Canem incise. Le parole tradotte significano “attenti al cane”. Da amante degli animali, aspirante veterinario e uno che ha guadagnato gran parte dei soldi per questo viaggio attraverso il lavoro sull’applicazione Rover, è stato un momento indimenticabile. Giorgio sapeva così tanto sulla casa dove era stato posato il mosaico. Era nella Casa del Poeta Tragico. La casa aveva anche altri elaborati pavimenti in mosaico e affreschi raffiguranti scene della mitologia greca.
Come potrei viaggiare di nuovo? Come potrei imparare di più? Per il calcio arriviamo in campus ogni anno il 30 luglio e le nostre responsabilità ci portano fino a maggio dell’anno seguente. Tuttavia, ora conosco il “periodo intermedio” di apprendimento al Lafayette. Si tratta di corsi durante la pausa invernale che costano come i corsi regolari, ma sono compressi in tre settimane. Per combinare ciò che ho imparato a Pompei sull’archeologia e sui vulcani, ho tracciato il mio piano per i prossimi due inverni. Questo gennaio del 2024 ho frequentato un corso alle Hawaii chiamato Evoluzione geologica delle isole Hawaii (GEOL 150). Abbiamo visitato una mezza dozzina di vulcani e appreso la loro storia e come abbiano formato le isole stesse. Il prossimo inverno ho intenzione di esplorare l’archeologia molto più a fondo durante la visita a Machu Picchu in Perù nel corso Esplorazione delle popolazioni indigene del Perù ai giorni nostri (INDS 208). Immergermi in una nuova cultura per me sembra essere l’unico modo per vivere davvero in profondità l’apprendimento di queste diverse parti del mondo, delle persone e delle storie diverse. Sono estremamente grata di aver preso l’iniziativa da sola e aver trovato un modo relativamente economico per vivere l’apprendimento in una parte diversa del mondo e ora mi ha messo su questa strada.