"eating is an agricultural act" --Wendell Berry, The Pleasures of Eating

EWG App and Website (THIS IS AWESOME!)

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/press.php

EWG charged today that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has failed to tell Americans , a requirement under federal law ,they have a right to know about the risks of pesticide exposure and ways they can reduce pesticides in their diets. The Environmental Working Group also has an app for your phone where you can scan barcodes of food and see the nutritional value of it as well as other facts about it; the app is called EWG Food Scores. The EPA has not complied in full with the Congressional mandate, for more than a decade EWG has stepped in to fill the void by publishing its Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce. The app is awesome and is aiming to help consumers make healthier, greener food choices. It encompasses more than 80,000 foods, 5,000 ingredients and 1,500 brands. Products are related based on three elements: nutrition, ingredient concerns, and processing and are scored on a scale from 1-10; 1 being the best score.

1. Christine Almer

I just downloaded this app and it is really cool! I like how it also has a “Donate” option, which brings you to a page where you can help the EWG keep their Food Sources food database up-to-date and continue their research on pesticides/chemicals in our food. This app will definitely increase awareness among consumers that are curious as to what’s actually in their food.

2. Jennifer Oddo

How cool is that! I will definitely download it immediately. I am always interested to see what the actual nutritional information is of the food I eat, especially when it comes to pesticides, herbicides and preservatives.