"eating is an agricultural act" --Wendell Berry, The Pleasures of Eating

GMO Labels in Oregon and Colorado

This article provides up-to-date information about the current GMO labeling debate in Oregon and Colorado. As of now, the article states that 42% of Oregonian citizens are for the labeling movement while 48% of citizens are against the labeling. Though this 48% against the movement is not a sweeping majority, the closeness in the poll percentages does not look promising for those who wish to see GMO labels on food item. If states that are considered to be environmentally friendly such as Oregon cannot even agree to initiate GMO labeling, is there any hope for other states such as PA, NJ, and NY?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/gmo-labeling-faces-ballot-test-in-oregon-colorado-1414961328

1. Christine Almer

I think you pose a good question here. I feel like everyone in the United States agrees that everyone has the right to know what’s in their food, but state-by-state ballot initiatives have been failing at making this information available across the board. We need to think of a single national standard that applies to everyone that provides truthful information, and unfortunately I think that we are a long way from succeeding in doing so.