"eating is an agricultural act" --Wendell Berry, The Pleasures of Eating

How food fared on election day

On Tuesday, there was a variety of responses from voters in regards to measures and initiatives involving food and beverages. In Berkeley, California, voters favored the first soda tax on sugary drinks in the country. They approved the imposition of a penny tax for each oz in a container (12 cents a can). In San Francisco, this proposed tax was two cents, and it failed. In one county in Hawaii, voters approved a temporary prohibition on using genetically modified seeds to grow crops. These policies have the potential to change consumer behavior, so the food industry should definitely be scared. Check out the NY Times article (link below) to see more details about these passed/failed food laws.

1. tintlel

I have never liked the taste of soda, the bubbles have always bothered me so a tax wouldn’t effect me. There are so many people who are “addicted” to it though and this would maybe make them reconsider drinking bottles and cans of soda daily.

2. Danielle Moore

I think it’s a really neat idea to do a can tax on soda! With a penny an ounce as a tax, it’s not heavily impacting the consumer but it does remind them that what they’re drinking isn’t healthy or even totally safe. Hopefully policy like this and the Hawaii initiative can keep spreading and make the US healthier and more sustainable.