"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." --Mahatma Gandhi

Hydrogen Fuel Cells vs Electric Cars

In 2003, there was promise for hydrogen fuel cell cars. George W. Bush said in a speech that a child born in 2003 could be driving a hydrogen-powered vehicle for their first car. During the Obama Administration, the Government cut spending to hydrogen fuel cell research and development because of a lack of feasibility. Now, California, Germany, and Japan are all increasing the number of their hydrogen stations to about 50 by the end of next year in an attempt to generate support and infrastructure for these hydrogen cars.

The fact is, hydrogen cars are more inexpensive than electric, more efficient, and have a longer range. It’s just the infrastructure that is lacking. Hydrogen fuel-cell science is fully developed and ready to be scaled up to trucks and busses, so if we can generate the infrastructure, they would easily be incorporated into daily life.
Check out the article for the nerdy details about how hydrogen fuel cells work and how they are able to cut costs : http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/science/earth/hydrogen-cars-join-electric-models-in-showrooms.html?ref=science

It seems like a very promising technology. I wonder what is greener to produce, though? a hydrogen fuel cell or a Lithium-ion battery?

1. Mark

Very interesting point

2. jhon set

Experience the thrill of the Raging Bull by booking a Lamborghini Miami Rental here. See for yourself what the Italian hype is all about! Lamborghini Miami rental

3. Jeremy Cooley

Hydrogen is the way of the future for cars, this future has actually become a lot more clear with a most recent breakthrough in Glasgow this year. They predict hydrogen will become the new car fuel within the next 15 years.

4. Rachel Barron

This article was incredibly interesting. I actually was not aware that hydrogen fuel cars were a thing until I read it but I think it has incredible promise. I wonder how many people know about them and why we are not paying more attention to them as a possibility as an alternate car source? I think Miranda’s questions have really good merit and I’d love to find out the answers to them.

5. Miranda Wilcha

This article was really interesting! I wasn’t really aware of the policy that had been in place to get hydrogen fuel cell cars running in the states. Was there any reason for why policy switched over to electric cars instead?

Also, it is more dangerous to have compressed hydrogen tanks like that? Probably on par with normal cars, no?