"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." --Mahatma Gandhi

Environmental Justice in India

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/environment-and-nature/20141027/activist-vandana-shiva-speaks-in-redlands-about-dangers-of-pesticides

Vandana Shiva is an environmental activist from India.  Her mission is to promote natural agricultural practices and environmental justice in India.  Shiva works against large multinational corporations that produce GMO and use large amounts of pesticides.  This article was about her visit to the Memorial Chapel at the University of Redland where she voiced her vision of a world that feeds everyone with food grown as nature intended.  Shiva’s Ph.D. thesis was on quantum physics, which is very complex but in Shiva’s own words is shows how the “world is not separate. Everything is interconnected.”

Shiva’s work connects to the reading we did about the environmental movement in India.  Shiva is trying to bring about environmental justice, especially to farmers and women.  Hopefully she can bring about change that will be helpful to the health of the people and the world.

1. This is very informative and well written content for your article, quality!

2. โปรโมทชั่น ag gaming

Very interesting information, thank you very much. I want you to know that Your article is one of the ones that really caught my attention.

3. [url=http://www.bagkakaku.com/vuitton_bag/2/N41124.html]ブランドコピー 財布実物写真、付属品を完備しております。迅速、確実にお客様の手元にお届け致します。低価格を提供すると共に、品質を絶対保証しております。商品の交換と返品ができます。●在庫情報随時更新!◆お客さんたちも大好評です:◆新品種類がそろっています。◆品質がよい、価格が低い、実物写真!◆100%品質保証 ![/url]

4. Miranda Wilcha

“Diversity creates abundance. It creates abundance because it reduces risk.” I think Shiva makes great points about policing budding monopolies over corporate monofarming techniques. Similar to Gandhi’s Salt March in the 1930s, I think the public should be able to make direct action approaches against oppressors who ween locals off of traditional farming techniques to opt for GMO seeds and toxic pesticides. I think her rhetoric sounds a lot like the article we read last week about Southern environmentalism and incorporating those oppressed. Amid many comments people have spat at me that GMOs will feed the world… I think Shiva clarifies that this production process comes with huge prices: chemical leaks, corporate profits exceeding local gains, dependence on monocultures, and a loss of diversity.

5. Jeremy Cooley

It’s interesting that Shiva is against GMO farming because a lot of the rice and food produced in India is the result of genetically modified crops that ultimately saved their population from famine in the early 60’s. Most of these seeds came from the US and other more developed nations and were seen as the principle reasons why the farming community was revitalized and what ultimately helped India to become more sustainable. Personally, I am not a fan of GMO farming, but it is interesting to hear that an Indian Environmental Activist is against GMO’s because they have done so much good for India.