Story of Place II

For today, I tried to gain a better understanding of the history behind the buildings that line Bushkill Drive around the bend of the Creek. I called on one location with local business contacts called International Dye and Chemical. There was no answer, but I decided to leave a vague voicemail. The second location researched was the Fitzgerald Speer Lumber Company that resides next to the current Lafayette parking lot. (The location is seen in historical map from 1919). I e-mailed their contact for more information regarding their history along the Bushkill.

Joe went down to the Creek again this morning while we were researching to try and emulate the pictures that were put up on Moodle of the old mills. He realized after a few minutes of taking pictures that he was standing on the remnants of the stone retaining wall that is featured in one of the snowy photographs. Also, he may have sighted the ruins of one of the mill buildings itself along the Creekside.

Emily contacted the Archives and went through the photos we were given access to on the Google Drive. After looking at Joe’s photos from the Creek she was able to find some matches between his photos and those on the Google Drive. Meeting with Archives tomorrow to research location.

Retaining Wall and Power Lines

Retaining Wall and Power Lines

Wagner Mill

Wagner Mill

NCHGS_A_05_a_recto

Back side of Wagner Mill

Back side of Wagner Mill

FOD_CemetaryBridgefromN_p65v2

Map of Location from 1919

Map of Location from 1919

Remains on right side of Creek- Wagner Mill

Power Lines-see snowy picture

Power Lines-see snowy picture

~artsy~ by Joe R.

~artsy~ by Joe R.

IMG_2375IMG_2374

Retaining Wall from Snowy Picture

Retaining Wall from Snowy Picture