3 Replies to “Internet Security (Chang)”

1. Great use of the image to visualize what a decentralized system looks like. I always had trouble understanding what that meant.
    You did a good job of working through the different eras of the internet through the decades, as each step in the evolution of the internet had unique characteristics. You also made it clear that each of these eras of the internet saw the rise of new forms of hacking and online criminal behavior.
    I know that the time constraint makes it difficult to include everything, but it would have been interesting to see you focus on the rise of computer viruses a little more. Also, you focused on many of the general problems effecting internet security today, but not as many solutions. In the future, it may be a more satisfying final product if you bring up a problem that arose during one era of the internet, and then explain how technology was developed to combat it, or vice versa.
    Overall, a very well done project. You clearly knew your stuff. Hacking self-driving cars is a scary thought!

2. Kelsea come back I miss you already! (just had to say that up front).

Not surprising, but you did a great job with this project. I really liked that you took the first slide to be a full introduction and to set up what you were going to discuss throughout the slidecast. I really liked the variety of images you used throughout the slidecast: historical photos, scientific diagrams, political cartoons—they indicate that this technology didn’t develop in a vacuum and that all areas of society were impacted by it in some way.

A couple of questions. First, and this is super nitpicky and just me being a history major, are the early 1960s really the start of the “golden age” in America? I think of them as its tail end, and the golden age as starting post WWII and going through the 50s and up until around Vietnam. Second, do people profit off of these spyware or malware defense systems? I would’ve loved to have learned more about the people behind them.

Overall though I think you did a great job! Although I’m terrified now that someone will hack an autonomous vehicle now….

3. I really liked the way you began your presentation with a short summary of the types of questions you were going to answer. It provided a nice framework that your audience could use to follow along. Your tone and pace were consistent and felt very natural throughout the entire presentation which made the slidecast a pleasure to watch. Relating the vulnerability of our networking systems to the increased tensions during the cold war was a great point and put the origins of internet security in its wider context. One of the things I found the most interesting in the presentation was the new threat we face in our society due to our focus on an “internet of things.” I never considered the fact that wireless operating systems incorporated into everyday technologies are also susceptible to the same threats as computers.
    Overall, I thought the presentation was well put together and you covered a great amount of information in such a short amount of time. If I had to suggest any area for improvement I would take a little more time to explain and describe the graphics you chose and what they are meant to represent.