4 Replies to “Flying Cars (Morrissey)”

1. Solid presentation Colin, you addressed a lot here. That was the first thing I noticed actually was how many words you managed to squeeze into those 20-second blocks! I’d try slowing down a bit, the pace at which you delivered this presentation feels frantic to a point where I can’t quite keep up with everything you’re saying. I would trim down the narration for your next project so you can deliver it with a more natural cadence.

Great point on the strengths of air and ground travel, and how ideally the flying car would be able to combine the freedom of an airplane with the independence of the automobile. That image at 4:30 was a great visualization of the point you were discussing, that many Americans envisioned flying cars as normal cars with detachable flight gear. I did notice a disconnect between narration and imagery on a couple slides, make sure the images are relevant to what you’re talking about.

You closed with a nice reference to the swiveling bogey in Britain. That’s a great conclusion to say that although we have the tech for flying cars, until there is a societal context which supports the industry we won’t be flying to work any time soon. Nice work.

2. Colin, Your project was really enjoyable and it was interesting to see why people were so convinced that the flying car would be implemented into society. The photos you used were great and were appropriate for what you were saying during the slide. I like how you went all the way back to the creation of cars and showed how they progressed over time. I learned how, since the progress of the car was moving so fast, people thought this rate of progress would be stable and we would certainly get to the point of flying cars by the year 2000. This is a great example of avoiding presentism, as today we can look back and think it was dumb of the people of the past to think that we would have flying cars. You showed just why people really thought we would. For your next project, you should focus on putting your presentation in a more chronological order. You bring up the flying cars by the 6th slide in your presentation and then go back to normal cars. Instead, you could give the history that you did like the space race and manifest destiny and apply that to the flying car idea. Also, you were talking pretty fast for most of the project. You could try to condense the info to have less words so you can speak at a more normal pace. Overall though, your presentation was great and I learned a lot.

3. For the next project, I would definitely work on the audio, you spoke a little fast in order to get all your information in (I did the same thing when I had a lot to say so I can understand). The audio itself wasn’t always clear, there would be some ringing or the sound of someone else in the background at times. I like how you break down their perceptions of technology, like how a train was a steamboat on rails, the speed in which cars were evolving or even manifest destiny. Based on those ideas it would be somewhat reasonable for them to think that a car would evolve to that degree within the foreseeable future as it could be combined with plane technology, cars were already evolving extremely fast, and that it was their god given right to use the technology in this way in order to travel farther and uninhibited. I also like how you connected it back to the present and how the interest still prevails. With our current technological capabilities, we are playing with the possibility of flying cars. I really like how you connected it back to the swiveling bogie invention vs. need discussion we had in class. Great images as well, they complimented what you were saying well.

4. I liked how you provided the context of the inventions automobile industry, particularly is affordability, and the airplane and how it relates to a common dream of flight. The public’s infatuation with flight seems to be an important factor since it can help explain the prevalence of flying cars in technological futurism from many different time periods. The connection to the railroad was one of my favorites since it is highly pertinent, but it was not a connection that I would have immediately made. It was also key that you addressed the ‘fear’ or ‘concern’ of increased traffic that contributed to the vision of the flying car.

I liked the ending that addressed the practicality of a flying car in terms of both function and economy. However, the ‘pie in the sky’ prediction of technological futurism are often not concerned with ideas of practicality. The content for the slides were well written but the delivery felt a bit rushed in pace.