3 Replies to “Car and Motorcycle, 1930s (Rimland)”

1. This prediction for a transportation vehicle that combined different aspects of a motorcycle and automobile is a great example of the futuristic mindset during this time. Your guidance through the progression of automobiles from their original carriage shaped model to the newer sleek design that was desired during the mid 1900s is well done. The slides on bicycle development and the eventual creation of the motorcycle from the safety bicycle also give some context to the cultural values during this time. I really liked that you wrapped up your presentation by connecting the idea of taking two current inventions and combining them to create a new advancement of the future. One thing that could be improved is the research into current ideas that are similar to this prediction. I think there are some prototypes that have been created that have very similar features to this two wheeled car. As a whole, this presentation had a really nice structure and helped the viewer connect the dots and understand the reasoning behind this prediction.

2. Overall, your presentation was very well put together and thought out. I like how you included details not only about the cars, but the way they were produced. The added touch of speaking about the static assembly line and Fords new assembly line was great. In class, we had only really talked about cars and I did not realize that motorcycles were also becoming common during this time. It was cool how you showed that cars took the shape from horse carriages, just like when we learned about the start of trains. I also learned how quickly automobile makers started to let you choose more options for color and look of the vehicle. I thought this would have come much later than it did. Even though I thought your presentation was very good, there are some things you could have done better. For example, I think your picture selection could have been slightly better. You used a lot of pictures of cars and showed images of the static production line but only included one photo of many model-Ts to represent Ford’s assembly line. It would have been cool to see photos of the actual assembly lines at work. Furthermore, I think you could have done the cars and bikes together, that way the whole presentation is chronologically in order. From your presentation, it seems like the bike and car went through very similar processes to become commonplace, therefore you might have been able to include more info if you condensed the material together. Regardless, I think this is great work and I learned a lot.

3. I like how you look at how the evolution of the car thus far and how it was becoming more aerodynamic over time to show how why the design of the futuristic car/motorcycle looked the way it did. I like how you referenced the almost commonplace standard of merging two different technologies to make something better like the train and applied it to the image of the futuristic car/motorcycle hybrid. I feel like that the section about the different car colors wasn’t as important to the storyline. Instead of spending an entire image and twenty seconds on the change coloring of the cars and you could have briefly mentioned and talked about the change in design more. You had some really good images; I really liked the old advertisement for the sleeker designed cars with the image of the wind pulling the two different cars. I found it really interesting to learn that motorcycles became more popular during the Great Depression because it allowed them to get where they needed to go more cheaply.